Regs and bottom D

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Regs and bottom D

Post by PJ »

I've been working on my reg playing lately and keep having a problem with trying to tap the regs at the same time as I lift the chanter to play the bottom D. Any suggestions for an exercise to get past this?
PJ
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Re: Regs and bottom D

Post by tommykleen »

Hey PJ!

Is it at that nexus of right when the chanter comes up while tapping the reg(s)...or just reg tapping (at all) with the chanter up?
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
uilleannpiperireland
Tell us something.: An uilleann piper of 14 years from ireland.
I like a drop of fine Irish whiskey with a few tunes.
Sometimes I also think life would have been so much easier if I had taken up the concertina.

Post by uilleannpiperireland »

heel of hand doesn't move from its position on or over the regs, you kind of pivot up your hand from the wrist joint to lift the chanter.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

It's right when the chanter comes up while tapping the regs. I'm practicing tapping on the off-beat in reels and hornpipes, and it's going fine except when there's a bottom D on the off-beat, and then everything goes sideways!!
PJ
JR

Post by JR »

For trickier or faster playing you could always play a back D instead.

A D's a D, and sometimes a bottom D is inconvenient.
PJ

Post by PJ »

An example:

I tap the off-beat note on the Bucks of Oranmore. For the first part, no problem, but in the first bar of the 2nd part, it starts with an A dropping to a D cran. I can never keep the regular off-beat tap at this point.
PJ
Pyper

Post by Pyper »

My practice tune for hitting the D reg while playing bottom D, is the hornpipe The Plains of Boyle. I tap the the D reg every time I play the Bottom D. It happens a bunch in the first part of the tune.
My problem is still bellows with the regs. I'll freeze up my bellows, and run out of air.
My reg playing is much better after getting a flat set!
So, I'd get a flat set. :thumbsup: