Hanafin brothers monument in Milltown !!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Paul Groff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Hanafin brothers monument in Milltown !!

Post by Paul Groff »

Hi all,

Mary, I'm very sorry to hear that your great-aunt Eily passed away. My condolences to you and all her family and friends. Eily and I had a wonderful long phone conversation by accident one day when she called my shop looking for another different musician! She had a lot of stories including the story of donating the pipes and other instruments. One point she wanted remembered was that Billy Hanafin composed the Bird in the Tree, during a walk in Boston's Public Garden, and that the family was still sorry that O'Neill and others had not properly attributed the tune to Billy.

PG
Mary Hanafin Doonan

Post by Mary Hanafin Doonan »

Paul, you're so sweet & kindily thank you. Eily was a real hoot! Stories and memories do live for ever or till their stopped in passage... as then, so we all will go.

I do crindge a bit when I see Oneil's name upon my Great Grand Da's music, though being raised in our Irish Catholic fashion.. turn that cheek... We know rightfully the songs behind the notes :)

I wasn't going to bring that up but since it's been dug... The day after Billy passed, O'Neil had a few men come and take several boxes of his written music/notes. With such greif, Mary A, is wife, let them take what they wanted. Luckily, up in the attic there were others that were left to carry on into family memories. The wax recordings which I still have even captured the laughter and casual fare of the Hanafins & band members...

All in all, the people that should know, know. Otherwise, let all enjoy & entertain of that they want, make more memories...

Keep up the music!!!
Mary
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Hello Mary - just wondering do you know if your family has any photos of William Hanafin and Billy & Charlie Taylor in the attic or any corrospondance between the Taylors and William? As far as I know there are no photographs of the Taylor brothers or their workshop.
Mary Hanafin Doonan

Goodness Steampacket, many pics to go over and I'll have to go through the boxes of them. Some of William's parents and the old farm where Taddy stayed too so a great posibility of the Taylors. Right now I have been on "Blue Moon" for 3,200 NM and charting the Bahamas till July. When I get back up for a visit I'll go through them for you.
Mary
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Mary Hanafin Doonan wrote: Right now I have been on "Blue Moon" for 3,200 NM and charting the Bahamas till July.
Mary
Jaysus, its a hard life for some !

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Mary Hanafin Doonan

Rory,

Not all smooth sailing and so as such, this lends to an thankful recognition of efforts when the water, winds and sky remind me of what its all about. Respect of nature and personal autonomy, challenge of self sufficiency. The boat has a its limitations, me.. so i must learn more.

I work from online so even when I am in a rainforest in Hounduras or Costa Rica, no excuse if internet.. far difference of what I was doing for years. As mentioned, did get that travel bug from my Great Grand Da...

When were you last in Milltown?

Mary /)~
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Mary Hanafin Doonan wrote:Rory,
When were you last in Milltown?
Mary /)~
I was at the Killarney Gathering festival at the weekend (http://thegathering.ie/ )
Where I live I have to go through Milltown to get to Killarney

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Mary Hanafin Doonan

There's a little cottage along the way I'd like to see.. OH you must know where this is too?!?

Since you are in the area...

mary
Last edited by Mary Hanafin Doonan on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary Hanafin Doonan

hmm pics on flicker aren't coming up... I have not used flicker in 4+ years... since silly facebook.

grabbed url.. did public... let me play a bit with it... don't even know if flicker works same way any more! Never stop learnin' lolol @ myself...
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

What happened to flute player Daniel Moreney? I see he was from Caherciveen co. Kerry, not Miltown.

http://comhaltasarchive.ie/tracks/13974
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Two cylinders may be of interest here. Lovely job on the Shaskeen, none of your straight lines there. :

Bhean Dubh a' Gleanna_W. Hanafin

Blame not the Bard / Shaskeen_ W. Hanafin

[edit]. I've taken the files down again, hope you enjoyed.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Paul Groff

Post by Paul Groff »

Thanks Peter
Mary Hanafin Doonan

So fun! Thanks Peter!!!
Mary
Lorelei
Tell us something.: Great grand daughter of Daniel P Moroney and found this post while looking for information on him and the Hanafin Brothers. Looking for photos and hopefully recordings of their music.

Post by Lorelei »

[Thread revival. - Mod]
Steampacket wrote:What happened to flute player Daniel Moreney? I see he was from Caherciveen co. Kerry, not Miltown.

I just found this page looking for information on my great grandfather Daniel Moroney. He had settled in Brookline Mass. My grandmother was one of his daughters.
LBuckley
Tell us something.: Great Grandson of Daniel P. Moroney, whistle player with the Hanafins (et al.) Currently living in Providence, RI... not far from Boston, MA

Post by LBuckley »

[Thread revival. - Mod]
Lorelei wrote:[Thread revival. - Mod]
Steampacket wrote:What happened to flute player Daniel Moreney? I see he was from Caherciveen co. Kerry, not Miltown.

I just found this page looking for information on my great grandfather Daniel Moroney. He had settled in Brookline Mass. My grandmother was one of his daughters.

Tough guy to track down, birth-records/wise... Best clue is that his parents were married in Milltown and his father (Bartholomew) was born in Tinihally/Kilorglin....

So maybe "split the difference" between Caherciveen and Milltown and you might hit it! ; )

Just like we might say we're from "Boston," vs. describing a suburb 10-15 miles away that no one in Ireland's ever heard of.