It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:16 am 

I dunno that I have any business posting here, but I've recently re-trolled my hard drive and found an RTE broadcast from 1988 in which Seamus Ennis's children, Chris and Catherine provided bittersweet memories of Ennis.

It is well worth anyone's hearing. If you love the music, it's worth hearing. Catherine plays a bunch of duets with Liam O'Flynn, so it's worth hearing for that alone.

And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:33 am 

"Our Father, Seamus Ennis" it was called. A really interesting (and honest) documentary. It should be streamable from the RTE site - I had a listen a couple of months back.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:46 pm 

I hadn't heard this before, thanks for posting! Can anyone tell me the name of the air played by Liam and Catherine at around the 27 minute mark, and again by Seamus at the end of the program? I've checked all of my Seamus Ennis albums to no avail.

I couldn't get the flash player on RTE's site to work, but you can download the recording there. I also found a working stream Here.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:52 pm 

If you can't capture a stream I have the file backed up and can get you a copy. PM me.

And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:25 pm 

[quote][I hadn't heard this before, thanks for posting! Can anyone tell me the name of the air played by Liam and Catherine at around the 27 minute mark, and again by Seamus at the end of the program? I've checked all of my Seamus Ennis albums to no avail.
/quote]

Was it not Easter Snow?

Pwort

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:30 pm 

Pipewort wrote:
Was it not Easter Snow?

Pwort

I haven't been back to check what`s going on at 27 mins, but Easter Snow is certainly one of the tunes the two play together.

C.S. Lewis

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:40 pm 

It's Ennis' 'Lament for the Fox' from his version of the Fox Chase

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:33 am 

chaos97 wrote:
It's Ennis' 'Lament for the Fox' from his version of the Fox Chase

Yes, that's it! I knew it sounded familiar, and I didn't catch it on my quick scan through Ennis' discography as this section doesn't come in until about 8.5 minutes into the piece. It's interesting that he shuts off the bass drone when he goes into the Lament. Thanks!