Fred Morrison Uilleann Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ennischanter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Re: Fred Morrison Uilleann Pipes

Post by ennischanter »

I'll be looking forward to getting one :)
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
firnatine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by firnatine »

I heard he may be delivering a half set when he comes out the first week of October for Pipes & Whistles on Lake Tahoe https://www.facebook.com/PipesWhistlesOnLakeTahoe/ . One of the guys had placed an order last year and said Fred
will be bringing them out. I'm looking forward to having a go on them as well as having him play my new Hubbert half set. It will be nice to hear how I wished my pipes sounded when I play them :wink: I'll be sure to take photos and video and will try to upload them.
firnatine

Post by firnatine »

rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

I thought it unfair that Dave Williams wasn't getting more credit in the new venture ,but on hearing the clip Dave probably wouldn't want his name linked with them anyway.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Rory

The tune is Lament for Gordon Duncan. It sounded much better in the hall, the guy recording the llaunch did them no favours it seems.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

They should have invested in a properly produced recording of the pipers. You only get one chance to make a first impression.
PJ
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

dyersituations wrote:...but those aren't really instruments :P.
... what I like to call unstruments.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Sounds like his bass drone shut off or something.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
zarb

Post by zarb »

It is clear to me that the recording was recorded at too high a signal level. You can hear the digital equipment clipping throughout as the inarticulate noise reminiscent of the early Modems. If the recordist was a prefessional, there should be a second track at a lower level of signal (hopefully without such clipping). Its entirely possible that this IS the second lower level track (which accounts for the time since recording to issuance of the clip, as the sound man tried to rectify the error) and that the soundman was asleep at all the switches. Not unlikely from what I've heard at such venues. The level of "augmentation" is generally pretty darned high. If all you do is run sound for Rock Bands, this is what you get.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Thats all very well, but did nobody think to listen to the clip before uploading it to youtube.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Pipewort
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Pipewort »

Just about every thing in that clip was bad.

What are they knocking them out at?
reedmasters

Post by reedmasters »

I'm glad it's not just me. They sounded nothing like his Dave Williams set. A real disappointment!
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

The pipes themselves sound fine live. This is a bad recording which does not make anyone want to try them.
Kenny Macleod
Tell us something.: We are a Highland Bagpipe-maker that is branching in to making other traditional instruments. This forum seems like an ideal place to get feed-back and ideas.

Post by Kenny Macleod »

Hi Guys,

We realise that the balance/mix/captured sound here could be better, but we were absolutely inundated with requests from people, very keen to hear the new pipes, so we just decided to go ahead and put up this short clip as a taster. The more detailed, up close videos, where you’ll be able to hear the pipes in full, will be available in the near future.

All the best,

Kenny
john

Post by john »

how much will they be going for kenny? chanter alone, practice set, half-set etc.