Playing Nice with Others

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Murk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Playing Nice with Others

Post by Murk »

Hello everyone -

So I'm starting a new venture of playing with a relatively small ensemble (5-6 people) and I am discovering a new source of stress while playing: Making tiny mistakes.

Usually when playing on my own I'm not too concerned about small mistakes, or my fingers ever so briefly getting tangled up. I just pick up again in a hot second and keep playing as if it hadn't happened. I know I'm only a year in and these things happen. However, when playing with other people we have a shared responsibility to carry the tune. I feel like when I mess up on the chanter - whether it's cutting out very briefly to find a phrase or honking a couple sour notes - it's clearly audible and our music suffers for it. The sound of the pipes is so distinct it seems I have nowhere to hide when the inevitable occurs.

Am I making sense? Any tips some of you could offer to help with this? Anything would be appreciated.

Thank you!
"When I was young I told myself I wanted to be somebody.
Now I realize I should have been more specific."
Mr.Gumby

Re: Playing Nice with Others

Post by Mr.Gumby »

When you say 'a small ensemble' I assume it is not an impromptu session but a more organised repertoire you're speaking of. In that case: practice the material until you (virtually) can't make a mistake.
My brain hurts

kathaleenypoopa

Post by kathaleenypoopa »

I know what you mean... if you can use a quieter reed (or feel confident that you can close your own reed down) for a bit so you don't stand out so much, this may help? Know the tunes, too! Use it as an excuse to practice your brains out so when you play with the "ensemble" you feel you have the confidence necessary for clicking with others.

K
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

I have encountered the same issue as a new piper, hence why I haven't brought my pipes to any gigs yet (I play mando/bouzouki at gigs). It really just takes practice and getting used to playing with others. I find that time playing with people is important, as it helps getting used to playing the pipes with other instruments. While it's getting better, I've had issues with applying too much pressure to the lower octave, and playing while hearing other instruments has helped me get better at adjusting the pressure I apply. It's all practice really.
Life is good.
Murk

Post by Murk »

Much thanks! It's as I suspected and it's helpful to know other people have had this same challenge. I'm off to continue practicing!
"When I was young I told myself I wanted to be somebody.
Now I realize I should have been more specific."
mke_mick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mke_mick »

Yep, accuracy improves only with relentless practicing -- where "practicing" means "slowing down and fixing every bit that you mess up." Sounds obvious, but the human ear is lazy, and most of us are at least a little prone to thinking "oh, I won't screw that part up next time 'round," and moving right on.

But when you're playing with other people, you must consistently ignore mistakes and move forward at all times. People will forgive you for missing a note here and there as long as you don't stop, slow down, or otherwise break the music's flow in a futile attempt to fix the irretrievable past. ;-)

I know at least one player who, in actual sessions, will sometimes repeat a note or phrase they've just messed up, as if they were all alone practicing. This same player has a tendency to slow the tempo way down during difficult bits, and accelerate like crazy through easier bits, within the same tune. Please don't be like that!

Cheers,
Mick
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

But when you're playing with other people, you must consistently ignore mistakes and move forward at all times.
The key to that is being at home both with your instrument and your music. A lot of people learn a tune, at least initially, as a string of notes and are unable to recover when the string breaks. If you are well practiced and comfortable, have freedom with both instrument and music, it's a lot easier to keep the flow and recover from any bump.
My brain hurts