Newbie seeking advice and setup help

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Clarky
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Newbie seeking advice and setup help

Post by Clarky »

First off, I got over-excited at the prospect of being able to afford a set of pipes in my monetarilly poor state.

And I bought Pakistan made half-set of pipes (For $368, ended up $400 with postage) not knowing the general opinion of them, since the reviews on the sellers site on ebay were all positive.
Having said that, they don't seem too bad. I did not expect them to be crash hot since, y'know, my knowledge of UP's was that I'd have to be earning enough to spend at least $1000 just buying a basic set. I didn't buy immediately, but like I said, my excitement at the prospect of being able to own and finally start learning my dream instrument overwhelmed me. Only since I've got them and started looking for instructions on where exactly the reeds go have I found what kind of mistake I made.

I live out in Australia where there is very little in the way of UP player support or guidance. My intention is to wait until i have a little more money to buy instructional material like the stuff listed in the FAQ. I figured in the meantime I'd just familiarize myself with the instrument a bit more, starting with finishing assembling it. Thing is, my set came with no instructions. Surprise surprise.

It's at least not made mostly out of plastic. It's wood, metal, and real leather, and it all went together pretty well when I put the chanter and drones in. The seals use cotton, I'm assuming that's normal? Unless higher end ones use rubber o rings or something? idk.

It came with reeds, but i have absolutely no idea where to put them in the instrument (Except the chanter reed, which through net searches I found out where to place). I've never owned or played a reed instrument before. The reeds thankfully aren't plastic either, not that I can tell if they're of a decent quality but they seem like they'll work. Once I figure out where they GO that is. (Only reason i figured out how to put together the rest was looking at sets on the web and using my extensive transformer changing knowledge. Who says having a plastic crack habit isn't useful? ).

Here are a few pictures of the set to give an idea of what I'm facing:

My laptop camera is pretty cruddy, but the bag is deffinately real leather. However it seems to be glued, not stitched.
The case is a cheapass thing, but it was listed as a 'free bonus'. Customs actually broke the main straps. Thanks customs. You're so considerate. And you have a great grasp on the purpose of velcro. And yeah I'm going to cut down those velcro straps because they were fine when the parts were wrapped in tissue paper, but on their own the straps are way too long to be practical.
Here are the reeds, minus the chanter reed which i already inserted.

Also i noted a few small cracks in some of the wood, I wasn't sure if that would fatally effect the instrument or not, but from what I've read about pakistan sets so far, the majority of players say they need ridiculous reworks just to function, where some people have said they took minimal adjustment to be functional practice instruments, and I'm not sure which camp my set sits in.

I'd be super grateful for any advice or help anyone would be willing to give me. I'm prepared for the barrage of 'wow you really should have done your research'. I know. I'm usually much more careful with my expensive purchases. File it under having no lovelife and turning my lovestruck stupidity on an instrument rather than a person XD.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help :)
Elmek

Re: Newbie seeking advice and setup help

Post by Elmek »

Welcome to the forum and it is a pity you did not find it prior to your purchase as it would have saved you money and a lot of effort. I take it you have now read the thread at the top of the forum on Pakistani made pipes which includes a section on how to make them playable.

[ Moderator Note: the Pakistani pipes thread is here: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=6&t=34434 ]

Normally set up would involve a box a of matches :) as I too started with one of these horrors before finding I had a pipemaker just 1/2 mile away. My practice set cost me several times what my Far East set cost but it worked and worked well and have since upgraded to a half set and have regulators on order from the same maker who is quite reasonably priced.

There is a member, maybe two from this Forum in Sidney who may be able to help you and it is possible to get these things to sort of operate with decent reeds and a lot of work but if there is any chance of getting your money back to put towards a properly made set this would be the best route

John
Clarky

Post by Clarky »

Elmek wrote:Welcome to the forum and it is a pity you did not find it prior to your purchase as it would have saved you money and a lot of effort. I take it you have now read the thread at the top of the forum on Pakistani made pipes which includes a section on how to make them playable.

[ Moderator Note: the Pakistani pipes thread is here: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=6&t=34434 ]

Normally set up would involve a box a of matches :) as I too started with one of these horrors before finding I had a pipemaker just 1/2 mile away. My practice set cost me several times what my Far East set cost but it worked and worked well and have since upgraded to a half set and have regulators on order from the same maker who is quite reasonably priced.

There is a member, maybe two from this Forum in Sidney who may be able to help you and it is possible to get these things to sort of operate with decent reeds and a lot of work but if there is any chance of getting your money back to put towards a properly made set this would be the best route

John
Ah, thank you, yes I took a look at that thread and found it hard to read simply because I felt sick for having spent all my savings on a dud set. I'm not sure if I can get a return or not, but i'll see if I can on the basis of the cracks (Plus the fact I couldn't get a peep of sound out of it even with the chanter reed in, but I'm guessing that's more a case of me not knowing what I'm doing yet).

I didn't see that there was a tutorial though for how to make them playable, so that might be handy. I really really hope i don't end up having problems that would require lathes and woodwork. I can work metal, but I'm hopeless with wood weirdly. If I do, I'm thinking the pursuit of a refund would be worth the effort, even if I have to pay the return shipping.

Thanks for your help John! :)
mke_mick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mke_mick »

The seals use cotton, I'm assuming that's normal?
Cotton thread, wrapped around the tenons? Yes. Cotton balls, anywhere? Emphatically no.

Drone reeds are customarily held/sealed in by friction, by waxed "hemp" thread (actually flax) wrapped around the bottom of the reed, and sometimes also by the judicious application of sticky black "cobbler's wax".

O-rings are used by some makers as drone reed bridles (to change the reed tongue's response and intonation), and by others as chanter-bottom inserts when "hard D" doesn't play easily enough.

Good luck (you're going to need it :-( ),
Mick
maki

Post by maki »

You could start saving again and buy a new/used Daye practice set.
Rock solid and decently priced.
http://www.daye1.com/pennychanter.html

Sorry 'bout the Pakistani pipes. Those folks have burned many people.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Those folks have burned many people.
Did you want to say many people have burned them?

My brain hurts

an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

First thing, try for a refund. Even a 20 per cent "knock" for return and restock will lessen the price of this rather tough lesson. If this not possible, there are supportive people here. Your "kit" will probably have a bag and bellows which may provide some service. Bear in mind that these sets are often a load of effort and hassle for knowledgeable pipers to get into working order. An extremely tall order for a relatively isolated newbie. There are pipers in Sydney who may help. There is a maker in Brisbane, I know a long way off. but at least on the same continent. There may by makers even closer. . .
Let us know how you make out with the return angle. Don't despair if this doesn't work out, since you'll have your arms full wrestling
with just the bag, bellows and chanter for the first year(s). Can't recall his name but an Oz piper used to call his instrument "the Irish Oboe", and with the practice set up, that is what you will have.

Good Luck Mate :thumbsup:
Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

on the positive, such a set can offer unique and indespensable lessons in reed anxiety, globalism, interpersonal relationships, blood-alcohol levels, and the effect of NSAID's on synovial tendon sheath overusage.

All in all, I'd have to say that there s nothing *quite* as effective as an uilleann pipe of this ilk to raise one's threshold of frustration. So much of life's other difficulties have become small potatoes, once having struggled with one of these. :thumbsup:
bobkeenan

Post by bobkeenan »

If you have any chance of playing this set you need to turn off the drones. I am a beginner too and after 10 months with a tutor, off and on, I am still not ready to play with drones. You have to pump at least twice the air and still maintain the right pressure for the chanter. I would pull the drones out and cork the holes if the valve does not work. Next find a up player that is wiling to help. There must be someone in Sydney who can do this for you. He or she can tell you if the pipes are playable or not and maybe you could get some tutoring as well.

Good luck
maki

Post by maki »

First order of business is finding another UPer.
Member Ausdag is in Brisbane, but he should be able to put you in contact
with the local Sidney Uilleann Pipers Mafia (SUPM) :D .
Give him a PM-
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3744

Oh...Look through this thread too.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=92347
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

If you can't get your money back (that would be best) find someone that can make a proper chanter reed and have them attempt to reed the chanter. Some of the newer chanters are serviceable with a decent reed. You may have success, or may find that the chanter plays in tune with itself but not necessarily in a D major scale -- or the chanter may just not work at all. It's really a crapshoot, but I've seen two Pakistani chanters in the last three years that were workable. One was a Mid East Manufacturing I believe based on Tim Britton's chanter, and the other I have no idea but played pretty well but was only in tune with itself. It was probably a copy ripped off from Kirk Lynch. The Geoffry chanter is unplayable, and this has been rebranded as Roosebeck and some other names I believe. YMMV.

It would be much less frustrating to get a Pat Skye or David Daye practice set.
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Hulme »

Hi Clarky,

If you cannot get a refund on this set I would first of all check out whether the bag and bellows are serviceable - i.e. that they are airtight, and then go for one of David Daye's or Pat Sky's chanters on its own. It is highly unlikely that you would get a proper reed to work in your existing chanter, assuming you could find someone to make one, and this would save you time, money and frustration.

Good Luck!
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org
maki

Post by maki »

Mike Hulme wrote:Hi Clarky,

If you cannot get a refund on this set I would first of all check out whether the bag and bellows are serviceable - i.e. that they are airtight, and then go for one of David Daye's or Pat Sky's chanters on its own. It is highly unlikely that you would get a proper reed to work in your existing chanter, assuming you could find someone to make one, and this would save you time, money and frustration.

Good Luck!
Don't forget to look at Seth Hammon's poly cast chanters/UP sets.
http://www.swedishbagpipes.com/uilleann.html