which pipes more versatile?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Uncle Matt
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

which pipes more versatile?

Post by Uncle Matt »

Hi! I am a novice to the world of piping, so if this seems like a dumb question please go easy on me! :-?

Could you tell me, are the Uilleann pipes more versatile than the Northumbrian smallpipes? If so, in what ways? thanks!
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: which pipes more versatile?

Post by Peter Duggan »

Different beasts from different traditions, really, but you might enjoy this lighthearted comparison and duet set...

Jarlath Henderson and Andy May at Lennoxlove House
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Uncle Matt

Post by Uncle Matt »

interesting, they both seem to keep up musically with eachother quite well! From what I can tell, one advantage of the Northumbrian smallpipes is that you can stand up and play easier. :)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

It's an interesting good question.

On paper, the uilleann pipes and NSP have similar capabilities, a wide chromatic range and capable of detached playing.

The uilleann pipes' edge perhaps is in the on the leg/off the leg thing which gives it a greater variety of tonal colours.

The NSP's edge, and I could be wrong here, is in chromatic playing. Though a fully keyed uilleann chanter is capable of chromatic playing, there seems to be more chromaticism in the NSP repertoire and traditional players are accustomed to using all the keywork. So not a matter so much of the NSP v UP chanter capability but of what the trad players are accustomed to doing.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

I assume your asking because your trying to decide.

The important thing is which tradition of music do you want to play. Both instruments have unique repetoires and technique.

While one can certainly play Irish tunes on the northumbrian pipes and vice versa. Its an important question to ask yourself.

Also I see you're asking for a d set in the other forum for the northumbrians, I assume this is because you think that it will be easier for playing with others as in a session.
I think you'll find a g set is actually better for this and has more of the range of a whistle.
A d set is like the flat set of the northumbrian pipes and better for playing in a and d,
while a g set is better for g and d.

Although I am not an expert just what I thought after looking into it myself some time ago.
Please correct if I am mistaken.

There used to be a video on you tube of Richard Evans I think explaining how the northmbrians work and the fingering ect which I found very informative.

Long story short if your serious about Irish music get a set of uilleann pipes if your serious about the northumbrian repetoire, go that way.
If you dont know yet than maybe wait a while until you know.

Also I dont think playing one precludes one from playing the other. I think there are many fine players that play both.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Richard Evans at the LBPS. "Demistifying the Northumbrian Pipes"

Talk Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

pancelticpiper wrote:The NSP's edge, and I could be wrong here, is in chromatic playing.
Not suggesting you couldn't do this on uilleann pipes (?), but here's a great example of the NSP outside its normal repertoire...

Northumbrian Smallpipes - Bach Prelude from Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major, BWV 1007 - Chris Evans

Though (talking versatility) who knows when you've got no regulators or choice of fingering styles here?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

versatility is in the eye of the beholder :wink:
maki

Post by maki »

BigDavy wrote:Richard Evans at the LBPS. "Demistifying the Northumbrian Pipes"

Talk Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

David
Thanks for the link, but the video needs English subtitles.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I was following some of those links of duets with uilleann pipes: NSP, Border(Lowland), SSP, and GHB.

In my opinion the uilleann/Border(Lowland) duets work the best, something to do with the timbre I suppose.

In the NSP/uilleann duets I watched the lovely subtle style of the NSP tended to be overwhelmed by the more overt tone and style of the uilleann pipes.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Uncle Matt

Post by Uncle Matt »

thanks for all the interesting comments. you have a good point dunnp, but besides the usual repetoire associated with these two types of pipes, I'd like to experiment playing how I feel and what I feel, from 'raga style' to 'one pint too many lads ambiance'... The guy playing Bach on the NSP is an example. I think I'll need to have a set of each, after I win the lottery of course. :party:
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I can't speak for NSP but in my opinion, uilleann pipes are not versatile. They are good at what they are intended for (Irish traditional music) and precious little else. A few excellent uilleann pipers have managed to break this "traditional" mold (Jerry O'Sullivan being one, Paddy Moloney being another) but only after spending decades mastering the instrument.
PJ
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

I was told last weekend that NSPs can't play rolls.

How can music be played without rolls. I don't know. I like mine with bacon, sausage, and tattie scones.