email problem

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
saintninian
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

email problem

Post by saintninian »

Hello! Recent addition to Chiff & Fipple here. I'm having a problem. When I click on another member's email button, I keep getting a message that says I either have to install an email program or create an association in the Default Programs control panel. What am I doing wrong?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: email problem

Post by kkrell »

Sounds as if you either do not have an email program, or at least one that is set as your default email program. I click on the email button on a message, and Mozilla Thunderbird starts up for me.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Hi ... The e-mail button is simply a mailto link to the actual e-mail address. If you hover you mouse over the button, you can probably see the address in your browser (e.g. at the bottom of the window in Chrome). Normally, your browser will respond to clicking the button by passing the request to your default installed e-mail client - Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. If you don't have an e-mail client installed, you get the message to install one. This behavior is a function of your OS, not the Chiffboard.

If you don't want to install an e-mail client, you can simply right-click the e-mail button and copy the e-mail address to the clipboard. Then go to whatever mailer you use and paste the address there.

Hope that helps!
MTGuru / Moderator
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

MTGuru wrote:Hi ... The e-mail button is simply a mailto link to the actual e-mail address. If you hover you mouse over the button, you can probably see the address in your browser (e.g. at the bottom of the window in Chrome). Normally, your browser will respond to clicking the button by passing the request to your default installed e-mail client - Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. If you don't have an e-mail client installed, you get the message to install one. This behavior is a function of your OS, not the Chiffboard.

If you don't want to install an e-mail client, you can simply right-click the e-mail button and copy the e-mail address to the clipboard. Then go to whatever mailer you use and paste the address there.

Hope that helps!
MTGuru / Moderator
I suppose this would be the situation if one uses a WebMail / online service to send and receive email.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

kkrell wrote:I suppose this would be the situation if one uses a WebMail / online service to send and receive email.
Yep ... As I myself have been doing lately (though I hadn't disabled Outlook).
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
saintninian

Post by saintninian »

Thank you all for your information. Using what you said I note that I am not having this trouble with either my smartphone or my work computer. Obviously it is something to do with the way my home computer is set up. Now at least I know where the problem is.