The search engine

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
Trip-
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The search engine

Post by Trip- »

I'm sure we all love it and use it daily for our benefit, but here's a prob:

I can't search for "oz whistle" or just "oz"... basicly I can't find any thread on the forum that concerns oz whistles.
I wish oz whistles had a longer name than 2 letters, because they look like damn good whistles, though their compatibility with the forum won't work.

is there a workaround or oz are doomed to search ?

thanks
Philip
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: The search engine

Post by MTGuru »

Philip, I feel your pain. :wink:

By default, the search engine ignores words < 3 characters. 2 letter words would increase the size of the index database, and it is already larger than 22 million entries. We could probably make exceptions for specific words like like "Oz" if we knew what we were doing. With the emphasis on "if". :lol:

In this case, you can search on "Vambrace", which turns up 35 hits. Or you can Google these:

"oz whistle" site:chiffboard.mati.ca
"oz whistle" site:forums.chiffboard.com

which turn up a total of 216 hits.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: The search engine

Post by hans »

MTGuru wrote:Philip, I feel your pain. :wink:

By default, the search engine ignores words < 3 characters. 2 letter words would increase the size of the index database, and it is already larger than 22 million entries. We could probably make exceptions for specific words like like "Oz" if we knew what we were doing. With the emphasis on "if". :lol:

In this case, you can search on "Vambrace", which turns up 35 hits. Or you can Google these:

"oz whistle" site:chiffboard.mati.ca
"oz whistle" site:forums.chiffboard.com

which turn up a total of 216 hits.
The forum search engine sucks, not being able to handle quoted strings, and just looking for the keywords in the string (and ignoring 2 letter words). I have given up multiple times searching the forum with its own search facility.

Can we not have a dedicated Google search form integrated in the page, which searches just the forums? This would need some template editing, but it would be so useful!

Cheers,
Hans