Finding what you want to find

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
breqwas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Finding what you want to find

Post by breqwas »

I'm a software developer, and I work for a search engine, so I have a habit of trying to "google it" or "ask yandex" before asking real people on the message boards. C&F boards contain LOTS of information - which, unfortunately, can hardly be found.

For example.

I want to get a new whistle, in key of E. I do remember that I've seen at least two or three discussions of the topic. I press the "search" link and type "E whistle" in built-in search.

23572 matches. And nothing useful on 1rst two pages.

I switch the radio-button from "Search for any terms" to "Search for all terms".

23572 matches. Exactly the same.

Then I try google search. Typing "E whistle" as is also gives nothing useful, but same words quoted give better result. Alas - too few matches, seems that forums are indexed not very good.

Seems that I'll go and ask about these E whistles again. That definitely does pollute the noosphere, but I do need a E whistle after all.

So: is there an understanding of the fact that there is a problem? And is there any will and desire to change the situation? I don't know exactly how, but there should be some way. To try to improve the search, to start making a FAQ thread with links to old topics, or something of that sort.

I love C&F and wish it was better.
Denny
antispam: No

Re: Finding what you want to find

Post by Denny »

in the phpBB search any string of letters that has less than 3 characters is discarded when creating the sql search statement. Therefore the E is not included. (you get the same result as searching for whistle)

using the Forum: select pulldown helps
I like Display results as: Posts better than Topics
breqwas wrote:I switch the radio-button from Search for any terms to Search for all terms.
this is an OR/AND for the terms
breqwas wrote:Then I try google search. Typing "E whistle" as is also gives nothing useful, but same words quoted give better result. Alas - too few matches, seems that forums are indexed not very good.
you're not using C&F's mySQL indexes if you are using the google search
breqwas wrote:So: is there an understanding of the fact that there is a problem?
yes, understanding of the...ah....limitations of the base phpBB software.
breqwas wrote:And is there any will and desire to change the situation? I don't know exactly how, but there should be some way. To try to improve the search, to start making a FAQ thread with links to old topics, or something of that sort.
not through changing the user interface that generates the SQL.
There is always a way. Changing the base software adds it's own issues.
A "FAQ thread with links to old topics" would be my personal favorite for quite a number of reasons.
breqwas wrote:I love C&F and wish it was better.
don't we all :D