Google ads

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
Tim2723

Google ads

Post by Tim2723 »

Currently in World/Folk Winds there is a full-width banner ad for "The F A R T Button" from Google Ads. The auto-censor discludes the word from posts. I have no problem with that, but I think you should censor Google as well.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Firefox with add on Adblock Plus
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

OK by me. I just thought it was an incongruity that you'd want to know about.

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Denny

Post by Denny »

It's easier to censor the ones that don't pay to be here. :D
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

I think it is just that one forum---Folk Winds---that has had that happen. I only wish I had gotten to see it :wink: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Denny

Post by Denny »

that's about as folky a wind as you could ask for...
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I hate that stinkin' ad.
Reasonable person
Walden
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I guess I messed up. I thought this was the forum where you reported potential problems to the Mods. How do you do that here? If you guys are Moderators here, then sorry, but I take it that the Mods are Rich, Dale, Redwolf, Alan, Nanohedron, and Joseph E. Smith. Why haven't any of those guys said anything? Is there a feedback mechanism I'm missing? Was I supposed to send an email or something?

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Denny

Post by Denny »

ah...pick one of the moderators (not rich) click on their name hit the PM button and send them a personal message.
FWIW it is unlikely that they are unaware of this thread.

Then they'll try to explain why they can't do anything about it or forward it to Dale if they think it's reasonable.

Or you could bother Dale with it first...but he is probably swamped right now, what with school starting.

Oh and while you're at it maybe you could find out what this forum is for...
rich
i see what you did there
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rich »

Use adblock.

It's pretty impractical for me to filter out a single ad. I couldn't even manage to get it to deliver the ad to me to find out which advertiser to filter out, which makes me think there aren't a whole lot of people seeing it in the first place -- and it's not just impractical, but completely impossible, to filter ads out without knowing who the advertiser is.

In general, though, ads that don't get any clicks tend to disappear quickly. The way to stick it to an advertiser is to not click.

As to why people were responding here: They can post here the same way you can post here. If you want to send something privately to a moderator, then email or a private message will be a lot more private than a forum post will be. (Also see the sticky post at the top of this forum.)

(In this case a moderator wouldn't be able to do much anyhow, since I'm the only one with control over the ads, but still, it would've got to the right place that way eventually. Then again I'm not exactly renowned for fast turnaround lately :) )
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cynth wrote:I think it is just that one forum---Folk Winds---that has had that happen. I only wish I had gotten to see it :wink: .
No, I'd see it on the Forum Index when I access C&F. Stupid ad..."Push the Button. You know you want to," or something like that. I didn't want to. I had better things to do.

I knew it would go the way of all things. What I really, REALLY hate are the dithering ads. They slow everything down and make Chifflife miserable for me. But what're ya gonna do? The ads pay for this site. At least they're not more vulgar than a childish f*rt button.

As for censoring, that function in general only applies, so far as administration goes, to posters' texts (and, by the way, the word filter changes some target words on occasion according to Dale's whim, which I think is charming. One day "f*rt" will be censored, and one day it won't. Some words are never off the list, of course, and that's as it should be). More than one Chiffer has posted humorous cartoons and such where the obscenities in them were unaffected by the word filter. All one can do is delete. Can't delete a Google ad from this end.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

Tim2723 wrote:I thought this was the forum where you reported potential problems to the Mods.
i thought it was the place for the spambots to post. :lol:
there is no end to the walking
Denny

Post by Denny »

they do tend to favor the basement :lol: