Newbie question about Image Association Thread

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
Caroluna
antispam: No

Newbie question about Image Association Thread

Post by Caroluna »

Hi all--

Sorry to be asking something that's probably been asked before....

In the image association thread, how come some of the images "go away" and turn into little boxes?

ex. I posted this image

and it "went away", but I replaced it with this one

and it seems to be staying.

If the image disappears, does that mean I ought not to have used it in the first place??? (copyright issue / fair use)

Please enlighten me-- or point me to a link where you've discussed this before---Thanks very much!
Carol
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

I'm not sure, but I think some websites don't want you to link directly to them. Like maybe it would increase how much they have to pay for the website or something. I think they are called "hot links"---which makes me think of barbecue...mmmm, I wish I had some right now---, but then I'm not a computer person. So it will seem like you can copy the picture---unlike some websites where they do something so you can't copy it for private use even---but then you can't paste it and have it work.

What you can do----use a free image storage place like Image Shack. You can save the picture to your computer---remember where you saved it. Then go to Image Shack and upload the image there---so now you are storing it at Image Shack or a similar company. It will have a URL that has "Image Shack" in the name. That is where the picture is now, for your purposes. Then you just link to the Image Shack URL the very same way you would have linked to the website. You don't have to keep the picture stored on your computer once it is copied to Image Shack. What's in it for Image Shack? I just have no idea. I suppose there are services you can pay for or something. But it seems safe and many people use places like that for storing images online.

Probably someone else will explain this a lot better. We can hope so anyway :lol: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Cynth wrote:I'm not sure, but I think some websites don't want you to link directly to them. Like maybe it would increase how much they have to pay for the website or something.
That makes sense....
I think they are called "hot links"---which makes me think of barbecue...mmmm, I wish I had some right now---
I wasn't hungry til you said that :lol:
What you can do----use a free image storage place like Image Shack. You can save the picture to your computer---remember where you saved it. Then go to Image Shack and upload the image there---so now you are storing it at Image Shack or a similar company.
OK, I think I know how to do that.... I just wasn't sure it was OK copyright-wise.

I guess the Image Association Thread is so much fun I was feeling guilty :wink:
Probably someone else will explain this a lot better. We can hope so anyway :lol: .
With stuff like this I need to have it explained several times by several different people for it to really sink in. Thanks Cynth, I'm about 1/3 of the way there :lol:
Denny

Post by Denny »

you might see the picture even if no one else can (your browser already has it and should not go fetch it again...after awhile it will go away for you too) Many of the web servers are set to not serve images requested by other servers.

Copyright-wise it could go either way. You can poke about the site and see if they mention it. It's hard for them to notice if their server isn't serving it...If it is it will be in the log. The wife checks our web site's stats, what pages, how many, how did they get there, and who is hot linking. Ya, ya...she's a geek.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Denny,
How do the owners of a website feel about being hot linked? Are there situations where is it OK / not OK?
Denny

Post by Denny »

varies a lot
If someone sets their server to not serve it seems they have made their feelings known.

Ours is hosted. We don't mind so much. If a video gets to many hits Adena might email the linker and have them host a copy so we don't have to pay for the extra traffic.

The foal watch pages generate a huge number of hits in the spring as 1st timers check their mare(s) against ours. The gestation calendar is popular.

Norton's video has ended up in some strange places.