RSS feed not working with posts with quotes

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
Craig Stuntz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

RSS feed not working with posts with quotes

Post by Craig Stuntz »

When a post has a quote, like this post by Tommy, bad HTML is generated in the description tag in the RSS feed, like this:

Code: Select all

<description>
<br />
                                      Author: <a href='http://chiffboard.mati.ca/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4642'>Tommy</a><br /><br />
                                      Posted: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 15:01:58 -0800<br /><br />
                                      <br /><br />
                                      </span><table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" border="0" align="center"><tr> 	  <td><span class="genmed"><b>brewerpaul wrote:</b></span></td>	</tr>	<tr>	  <td class="quote">Looks really nice! Good work.<br />
<br />
BTW-In case you weren't aware, many tropical woods are HIGHLY allergenic.  ALWAYS wear a dust mask when using these woods, wash dust from your skin promptly etc.</td>	</tr></table><span class="postbody"><br />
<br />
Thank you Paul.  I do wear a dust mask, and also have a fan to help keep me in the clear.  Other wood turners have also told me that the sharper the tool the less dust made.
</description>
(Note the extra </span>.)

Bloglines stops rendering when it can't figure out the HTML, and this post is rendered as blank. Same for any post with a quote in it; they're truncated at the start of the quote.

This seems to be a fairly recent change; I don't recall this being broken last week.

Thanks in advance for reading,

-Craig
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

That's not happening for me. Am I missing something?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

Nanohedron wrote:That's not happening for me. Am I missing something?
What isn't happening for you? When you look at the RSS feed (click the icon at the bottom of this thread, for example), do you not see the out-of-place </span> on posts containing quotes (like this one)?

-Craig
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ah, sorry. I thought something else might be going on. I'll bow out.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Craig Stuntz

Re: RSS feed not working with posts with quotes

Post by Craig Stuntz »

Craig Stuntz wrote:This seems to be a fairly recent change; I don't recall this being broken last week.
... of course, the "recent" change may be in how Bloglines deals with broken HTML, rather than how phpBB generates it.

-Craig
Denny

Post by Denny »

Craig, I am not getting that here.
It looks normal if I use the RSS feed to view quoted posts.

FWIW I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.6 and the Sage add on
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

Denny wrote:It looks normal if I use the RSS feed to view quoted posts.
<s>Are you looking directly at the feed (i.e., the raw HTML), or are you using a viewer? If the latter, your viewer may be using a formatter to discard the misplaced tags.</s> But I clearly see a problem in the feed itself.

<s>If you're actually looking directly at the feed, and not using a viewer, I'd be interested to see if your HTML looks different than what I pasted in above.</s>

Edited to add: Never mind; I see you're using a viewer. I have to presume your viewer is throwing away the misplaced tags, since I still see the problem in the feed.

-Craig
Denny

Post by Denny »

ya, I am...

yep it's there.

you're begging the question,
so you prefer the read the HTML?
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

Denny wrote:you're begging the question,
so you prefer the read the HTML?
Read my first post: Bloglines truncates the post display at the first malformed tag (at least, not at present). So the posts show up as blank in Bloglines.

-Craig
Denny

Post by Denny »

that was days ago...

not much of a memory! :oops: