Private messages--Help!

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Private messages--Help!

Post by Cynth »

Okay, I think this is simple but I got freaked.

This morning I sent a message. I then decided to clean up my message mess.

I discovered that my "Sent Box" was 100% full and I deleted those messages.

I then found this weird box called the "Outbox". It had the message I just sent and one to someone else a long time ago. Just those two.

The "Out Box"----if the messages are there, does it mean they have not been received by the person's "Inbox"? Or does it mean they have been received but have not been read? Could these messages be in my "Outbox" because my "Send Box" was 100% full?

Can you send a message if your "Send Box" is 100% full?

If the person from a long time ago didn't read the message, then I think the person had stopped taking personal messages. I can think of why that could happen. But if the message wasn't received, then I would want to send it again. But I wouldn't want to send it twice.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

The message will sit in the Outbox until the recipient picks it up (reads it), then a copy should go into your sentbox.

Not sure what would happen if the sentbox is 100% full though, I've never got to that stage.

So if it's still in your outbox, the likelihood is the recipient hasn't logged on and picked up the message... unless of course your assumption is right and the 100% Full issue screws up the normal process.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Ha! I just checked, my 'Sentbox' *is* 100% full! I'll send you a quick test PM and see what happens...
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Well, that was interesting.

The message sat in my Outbox until Cynth picked it up, and in spite of the fact that my Sentbox was already 100% full, a copy of the test message is now in there!

So it would seem that even with a 100% full Sentbox, there's still room for more sent messages. Perhaps the system borrows space from the other 'boxes'?

Anyway, seems not to affect the sending of PMs :)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Thank you Gary for helping me with this. The one old message was a worry, but now I know it got to the person's box and that was the important thing. I won't resend it. Thanks for doing the experiment. :) I am going to improve my message housekeeping, even if the "Sent" box can be more than 100% full. :lol:
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

That, err, wasn't a message to me, was it? If it had been a while, it might have been caught up in the, ah, well, you know . . .
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Lambchop wrote:That, err, wasn't a message to me, was it? If it had been a while, it might have been caught up in the, ah, well, you know . . .
in the what?
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

No, Lamby, but thanks for asking. The person isn't here any more and that's why it didn't get read. Going to bed now. Haven't see you for awhile.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

amar wrote:
Lambchop wrote:That, err, wasn't a message to me, was it? If it had been a while, it might have been caught up in the, ah, well, you know . . .
in the what?
It's a secret . . .