Guide to Posting Images

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Guide to Posting Images

Post by GaryKelly »

Okay, here goes...

Firstly, the image needs to be on a web page, somewhere on the internet. It needs to have a 'url' on the web, it's not going to work if the picture is just sitting on your PC's hard drive (unless of course your PC has a web-server built-in, running, and permanently online!).

So how do we post an image from a web page into a discussion thread like this? Here's a simple example. See "The hungersite" image at the top left of the screen? Imagine that is the image you want to post. It could be any image on any web page.

Mouse your cursor over the image, and right-click on it. You should see this:

Now, Left-Click on "Properties" and you should see this:

Note the "URL" which for this image is: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/images/ads/hungersite.gif

Using your cursor, highlight the URL and right click on it, then click on "copy" in the box that pops up... you should see this:

Now we're almost finished!

See the little square box with the word "Img" in it, just above the typing window? Click that. It'll put a "tag" into your typing window like this:

[img]

Now, immediately after the tag [img] you should right-click and select 'paste'. This will paste the URL you copied into the screen like this:

[img]http://chiffboard.mati.ca/images/ads/hungersite.gif

There's only one more step. Click the blue "Close Tags" link at the top right, or click the square box which now has the word "Img*" in it. That will close the image tags, leaving you with this:

[img]http://chiffboard.mati.ca/images/ads/hungersite.gif[/img ] (except there won't be a space before the ] I've had to put one in to display the code).

And that's it! Click the "Preview" button at the bottom of the page to confirm that your picture displays... it should if you did everything right!

Remember, you need the URL of the image, not the url of the page (a different thing entirely) and the way to get an image URL is to right-click on it, and select 'properties'...

Hope this helps someone!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Thanks Gary...I will put this to good use!!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Verrrrrrrrrry Cool!!!

Thanks Gary, you have been a tremendous help...thanks also to Dubhlinn and Carol. Cool. A huge veil of cloud has been lifted from my eyes....now if I can only get it to lift from my mind. :D
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Glad I could help!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

An excellent post Gary,
You have done all members a great service here and deserve the thanks of all -oldies and newbies.
Hopefully this post will be placed somewhere prominent and become the standard reply to all queries concerning picture posting.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Paul

Post by Paul »

Image AAAAARRRGGGHHH!

:evil: I might need to get a new picture host other than Snapfish. All of my old pics are still up but I can't get any of the new ones to work. I clicked "close tags" and all too.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Look no further than http://www.imageshack.us
Couldn't be easier to use; it will even give you the "img" tags, and it can create clickable thumbnails for large images.

(click on the thumbnail to see a larger version)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Paul wrote:Image
But that doesn't look like a complete URL. The URL should end with something like .jpg or .gif or .bmp or one of the other image file extensions (dot-something)

Try right-clicking on the image in your 'Snapfish' area and selecting "Open link in new window". This should then open a new browser window with your picture in, and the full URL in the address bar of the browser.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Thanks, Gary!!! I got the general idea. Only hitch was that for some reason, I was unable to highlight the URL, so I had to write it down and type it in manually with the [img] thingies. Still worked, just took a bit more time. Any ideas as to why the I couldn't highlight the URL?
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Hmmm... are you using a windows PC Nano?

Also, you may have to drag the cursor from Right to Left on the URL in the properties box to highlight it. That's counter-intuitive I know, you'd expect to be able to highlight it from left to right. Give it a go (ie put the mouse pointer to the right-hand end of the URL in the properties box, and then left-click&drag to the left of it.

Edited to add: If the picture on the web page does NOT have a link to another site (for example, the picture in your Post, Nano, rather than the Hungersite image which has a link to the Hungersite) you can do this:

Right-click on the image. Select "Add to Favorites", and you'll see that the full URL of the image appears in the "name" box... you can highlight that :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

You da man, Gary.

Windows XP laptop here, but it hasn't seen a moment on my lap yet. Typical of me.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll apply them. :)
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Gary, this is one of the coolest things I've ever learned here on C&F! Thank you!

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Woohoo, this is fun!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

:) Glad it's helping!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Thanks Gary. And Bump. Nano, is that you and what kind of flute is that?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm