Spontaneous Logout?

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Spontaneous Logout?

Post by Nanohedron »

This happens almost every time to me: when I'm composing a reply to a PM, if stuff gets in the way and I have to get back to it later, or the reply is lengthy, once I hit submit, I have to log in again, and *poof*, all my effort goes down the crapper because it gets wiped out. I'll have to log in again for thread replies, too, but the reply doesn't get lost in that case. Oh, my goodness! What in the world?? And please be so kind as to refrain from suggesting that I set up a Word document, copy and paste to forestall this in future. I already know that, and have done. What I would like to know is what's the cause of this maddening phenomenon?

Yours in extreme frustration,
N
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Answers requested ......
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I'm not sure of the exact cause of this, but the phenomenon isn't unique to C&F. I teach for a school which uses this software as a forum for student-faculty interaction, and we have the same issue with it.

Well, at least, *I* have the same issue with it. The other instructors seem to do longish stuff offline, so they're not bothered by it. None of the students have ever complained about it, either.

It seems to be an issue with the software--it appears to have some concept of "time." Exceed that "time" and it forgets about you.

You don't have to be away from your computer or not working on your reply, either--it will forget about you if you've just spent too much time working on your reply.

I'm not even sure what the "time" limit is. It seems to vary--I think possibly based on how many users are taking up space, or traffic on the net, or goodness only knows what.

There are two fixes for this. One--the option you don't like--is to work in Word and paste your reply into the board.

The other, which suits me better, is to simply "submit" your post every now and then, then "edit" it to attach more material. It's slightly annoying, to be sure, but it's less annoying than having to open up Word, type, cut, paste, and so forth.

I can't tell you how often you'll have to "submit." I tend to do it every 10 or 15 minutes or so--more often if I'm typing something like answer keys or long, involved explanations that I don't want to risk losing.

I hope this helps. Sorry that I can't explain exactly what causes it, but at least you know it's not just C&F, and you also have another work-around for it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Thanks for the replies. Got another good solution from a fellow Chiffer: periodically mark the text and hit "copy". That's a good one.