Condensation Blues

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
Marceau

Condensation Blues

Post by Marceau »

Dear All,

I've been playing historical and traditional woodwinds for years now ... Irish flute, bombarde, whistles, hautbois, doedelzak, cornumuse, you name it... but I've never had a problem with moisture. I know many are "wet" players and naturally have a moisture build-up, but this has not been my problem - until now.

I have a Colin Goldie Low A Bass, Low C Baritone and Low D whistle and try as I may, I can't play any of them for more than a minute before I get terrible condensation. I literally chokes off the sound. I've tried warming the whisltes by rubbing my hands briskly, I've tried warm tap water, I've tried drinking ice water, I've even tried coatting the inside of the windway with Rain-X and other anti-fog chemicals. Nothing works. The Overton is a beautiful sounding instrument, but how do the rest of you manage to play without gargling. Worse yet is the sound of attempts to clear the moisture (even with the mic off).

Any and all suggestions would be welcomed!!!!
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

Hi Marceau - You might want to post this on the whistle board - you'll get more responses.

Susan