Using "QUOTE" mode

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
BillG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Using "QUOTE" mode

Post by BillG »

How do I use the QUOTE correctly. Each I try to use it I get something different. It should come out embossed in white.

Thanx, BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

There may be a more efficient way...but I do it like this:
1. Click on "quote" box. (In upper right corner of post you're quoting)
This opens a new "post reply" window.
2. Delete any parts of the quote that you don't want, by cutting and pasting. Just make sure you don't delete the first and last [quote] and [/unquote] brackets and their contents.
3. Move your blinking cursor bar to a place below the quote and add your message.
4.Preview it to make sure it worked right.
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

emmline wrote:There may be a more efficient way...but I do it like this:
2. Delete any parts of the quote that you don't want, by cutting and pasting. Just make sure you don't delete the first and last quote and /quote brackets and their contents.
3. Move your blinking cursor bar to a place below the quote and add your message.
That is how I created the quoted message above. Really easy and no fuss as long as the quote and /quote things are left in tack.

Now if you want to add more quotes from others, find the text in the message reviews and copy it. Once you have the text copied I usually type something like:

BillG wrote:

Then I select the Quote button from above. That inserts the quote with brackets. Paste the text and then click the Quote button again ( it will have an asterisk at the end to designate the closing Quote).

BillG wrote:

{quote}How do I use the QUOTE correctly. {/quote}

I changed the square brackets to curlies so you could see the format.

Here is what it looks like when formatted correctly:

BillG wrote:
How do I use the QUOTE correctly.
I just stumbled on a shortcut/trick. If you paste your text first, highlight it with your cursor and then press the quote button it will add the quote and unquote at the beginning and end automatically. Cool.

Steven wrote:
I just stumbled on a shortcut/trick. If you paste your text first, select it with cursor and then press the quote button it will add the quote and unquote at the beginning and end automatically. Cool.
That is how I did the quoted message just above.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

emmline wrote:There may be a more efficient way...but I do it like this:
2. Delete any parts of the quote that you don't want, by cutting and pasting. Just make sure you don't delete the first and last
and [/unquote] brackets and their contents.

interesting
"You have my undivided attention"
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Re: Using "QUOTE" mode

Post by SirNick »

BillG wrote:How do I use the QUOTE correctly. Each I try to use it I get something different. It should come out embossed in white.

Thanx, BillG
more interesting
SirNick

Re: Using "QUOTE" mode

Post by SirNick »

BillG wrote:embossed in white.

Thanx, BillG
Ah yes