unable to open pm message

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
maiingan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi;
I have an Oak high D, Generation Bb, Dixon Alto A, Tilbury Low G, Humphrey low F and a Howard low D.

unable to open pm message

Post by maiingan »

Hi;

I received this notice:

You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic "FS
Killarney whistle, Brass, Key of "D"" at "Chiff and Fipple Forums". This
topic has received a reply by Jerry since your last visit. No more
notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the
following link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=110207&p=1230514&e=1230514

If you want to view the topic, click the following link:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=110207

When I click on link and log in I get the message: "You are not authorized to read this forum".

I do believe they are responding to my whistle FS. There are no new messages in my inbox. Does that mean they deleted their message? Are messages in this catogory now blocked due to covid19?
Sorry; I'm still fairly new to PM here.
Stay safe and hopefully healthy;

Patti
et succendam sibilus (blow the whistle) :thumbsup:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: unable to open pm message

Post by Nanohedron »

maiingan wrote:Hi;

I received this notice:

You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic "FS
Killarney whistle, Brass, Key of "D"" at "Chiff and Fipple Forums". This
topic has received a reply by Jerry since your last visit. No more
notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the
following link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=110207&p=1230514&e=1230514

If you want to view the topic, click the following link:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=110207

When I click on link and log in I get the message: "You are not authorized to read this forum".

I do believe they are responding to my whistle FS. There are no new messages in my inbox. Does that mean they deleted their message? Are messages in this catogory now blocked due to covid19?
Sorry; I'm still fairly new to PM here.
I'm afraid I don't know what's happening, here. You have full permissions, and if someone deletes a message they submitted before you read it, you should normally see a record of that in your inbox. We'll have a look and see what we can come up with.

And no, the pandemic would have nothing to do with it. You don't get more socially distanced than being online.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
maiingan
I have an Oak high D, Generation Bb, Dixon Alto A, Tilbury Low G, Humphrey low F and a Howard low D.

Post by maiingan »

:thumbsup:

Patti
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Are you logged into the forum when you go to read the message? Otherwise you would not have permission. Login to the main forum page (or Board Index) and see if above your last visit it says "Logout [maiingan]". If so, you're logged in, and next to it is should say "1 new messages". Click on that & it should take you to your PMs, and you can check your Inbox.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
maiingan

Post by maiingan »

Yes the first thing it does is prompt me to log in, so I do and it then says "You are not authorized to read this forum". I though maybe they deleted message?

Patti
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Sounds to me as if the two of you are talking about different things.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
maiingan

Post by maiingan »

I'm not quit sure what I'm talking about myself, other than what I posted first. :-? I click on the link from my email. It takes me to the log in page. I log in then it tells me I can't view post (message) or whatever it is. If it was a message could this be because the sender deleted it, just a bug? I am clueless. Should I just ignore this and hope who ever it was tries again if they really want to contact me? They could also try an open post on the listing couldn't they?

Patti
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

maiingan wrote:I'm not quit sure what I'm talking about myself, other than what I posted first. :-? I click on the link from my email. It takes me to the log in page. I log in then it tells me I can't view post (message) or whatever it is. If it was a message could this be because the sender deleted it, just a bug? I am clueless. Should I just ignore this and hope who ever it was tries again if they really want to contact me? They could also try an open post on the listing couldn't they?
I think we've come across this before, but I can't remember the details. Hopefully Ben will have some insight.

Here's what I advise in the meantime: Instead of clicking links in your emails, go directly to C&F instead, and log in there.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Nanohedron wrote:
maiingan wrote:I'm not quit sure what I'm talking about myself, other than what I posted first. :-? I click on the link from my email. It takes me to the log in page. I log in then it tells me I can't view post (message) or whatever it is. If it was a message could this be because the sender deleted it, just a bug? I am clueless. Should I just ignore this and hope who ever it was tries again if they really want to contact me? They could also try an open post on the listing couldn't they?
I think we've come across this before, but I can't remember the details. Hopefully Ben will have some insight.

Here's what I advise in the meantime: Instead of clicking links in your emails, go directly to C&F instead, and log in there.
As I said.

There is the possibility that a PM was Sent (generating the email message notification), and then withdrawn (deleted) before the recipient arrived to read it. The Not Authorized to read this forum might indeed be a reasonable board message response to that circumstance.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Chaps, this is really, really simple. Firstly, it has nothing whatsoever to do with PMs. Not one thing. All it is is that maiingan posted a for sale notice in the Used Instrument Exchange (UIE); Jerry then replied to it, in the UIE, in contravention of the forum policies, as flagged up very boldly at the top of the UIE in the big orange box; Jerry's reply was therefore moved to Deletions, which is a restricted part of the Board.

There is nothing wrong with what has happened, and is an example of the Board and its policies operating as intended. maiingan - you cannot read this message, and neither should you be able to. If Jerry wants to send you a message concerning your post, then that is exactly what he should do, or you could send him one, and please everyone - don't post replies in the UIE.

I hope that clears things up.
maiingan

Post by maiingan »

benhall.1 wrote:Chaps, this is really, rethally simple. Firstly, it has nothing whatsoever to do with PMs. Not one thing. All it is is that maiingan posted a for sale notice in the Used Instrument Exchange (UIE); Jerry then replied to it, in the UIE, in contravention of the forum policies, as flagged up very boldly at the top of the UIE in the big orange box; Jerry's reply was therefore moved to Deletions, which is a restricted part of the Board.

There is nothing wrong with what has happened, and is an example of the Board and its policies operating as intended. maiingan - you cannot read this message, and neither should you be able to. If Jerry wants to send you a message concerning your post, then that is exactly what he should do, or you could send him one, and please everyone - don't post replies in the UIE.

I hope that clears things up.

Thanks, that does make sense. How do I private message him though if I only have the first name of Jerry? There is probably more than one Jerry here I imagine?

Thanks folks, I love this forum.

Patti

Patti
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

maiingan wrote:There is probably more than one Jerry here I imagine?
Not as a username. Any other Jerrys would have to be different somehow: Jerry1, jerry, JerrySmith, J.e.r.r.y. JeRrY - like that. With a username, it's the form that counts. Every username is utterly unique and cannot be duplicated as-is in another account; the system won't allow it. So if Jerry is his username, then Jerry it is. There will be no other on this website.

Thanks, Ben.
maiingan

Post by maiingan »

Nanohedron wrote:
maiingan wrote:There is probably more than one Jerry here I imagine?
Not as a username. Any other Jerrys would have to be different somehow: Jerry1, jerry, JerrySmith, J.e.r.r.y. JeRrY - like that. It's the form that counts with a username. Every username is utterly unique and cannot be duplicated as-is in another account; the system won't allow it. So if Jerry is his username, then Jerry it is. There will be no other on this website.

Thanks, Ben.
Ben,
So if it said " This topic has received a reply by Jerry since your last visit. " Does that mean Jerry is a user name?

Patti
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I know you asked Ben, but I'll answer for him to keep things at a good clip.
maiingan wrote:So if it said " This topic has received a reply by Jerry since your last visit. " Does that mean Jerry is a user name?
Absolutely.

The system only knows and recognizes usernames; it doesn't know my real name, for example, even though other members might. You never had to divulge your real name when signing up, after all, so there's no reason for the system to know it. All it knows you as is maiingan. Even if your real name is in your email address, the system won't pick up on that because it's not smart enough.
maiingan

Post by maiingan »

:thumbsup:

Patti