Chiff and Fipple Forums
http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/

C&F HACKED?
http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=109337
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Michael w6 [ Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:58 pm ]
Post subject:  C&F HACKED?

Today I got an email notification there was a response to one of my earlier posts. When I clicked the link I got a page warning me the site was not secure and some may be trying to steal information from me. Has anyone else encountered this?

Author:  Peter Duggan [ Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: C&F HACKED?

Michael w6 wrote:
warning me the site was not secure

Because it's not https.

Quote:
and some may be trying to steal information from me.

But that doesn't mean it's been hacked or anyone actually is.

Basically, it's as safe as it ever was and, if you've been happy to use it up till now, you should still be happy.

Author:  Michael w6 [ Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: C&F HACKED?

The page that had this warning would not allow me to access the C&F site. The link to this post worked so maybe it was some odd fluke. I was curious if other encountered it.

Author:  bwat [ Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: C&F HACKED?

It was an expired certificate entity authentication* warning at my end. I’m guess Michael and I might be using the same browsers.


*) been dying to use that term since I read it yonks ago in this first rate free book: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf

Author:  fatmac [ Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: C&F HACKED?

I got it first this morning, now, about an hour later, I'm on the site as normal - likely it is something new to the browser, as I updated mine yesterday on this machine, but not the other one.

Author:  Michael w6 [ Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: C&F HACKED?

@bwat Yes, that is what I'm getting again today. I have to go to the C&F page directly to access the site.

Author:  benhall.1 [ Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: C&F HACKED?

Sorry folks, but I'm moving this thread to the support forum. I can't see anything to do with whistles in here.

In answer to the question, by the way ... no.

Mod

Author:  Tor [ Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: C&F HACKED?

I posted (or replied) to this in another forum.
But the short of it is that forums.chiffandfipple.com can be accessed via https:// too, not just http:// (I didn't know until today). But if you do you will run into an expired Let's Encrypt certificate (it expired on October 4). It should be a simple thing to fix - run a one-liner command on the server and get an updated certificate from Let's Encrypt.

Author:  benhall.1 [ Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: C&F HACKED?

Tor wrote:
I posted (or replied) to this in another forum.
But the short of it is that forums.chiffandfipple.com can be accessed via https:// too, not just http:// (I didn't know until today). But if you do you will run into an expired Let's Encrypt certificate (it expired on October 4). It should be a simple thing to fix - run a one-liner command on the server and get an updated certificate from Let's Encrypt.

The site and the software are hosted, so I'm not sure we can do that. I'll look into it ...

Author:  benhall.1 [ Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: C&F HACKED?

Well, that's interesting. I'm not getting the "expired certificate" notification any more. Previously, if I accessed the site using https instead of http, I did get the "expired certificate" notification, as others did, but that's gone. So I think the issue has resolved itself.

If access the site via https, I do get the "Only secure content is displayed" notice on each page, but that's normal whenever I access any site via https, in my experience.

Author:  fatmac [ Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: C&F HACKED?

I've just had a day of not being able to connect for some reason, a server malfunction(?) possibly, but it's back again, using the same book marked link. This has also happened to me a couple of times in the past too, it usually gets sorted out within a day or two, then I just have to catch up.

Author:  benhall.1 [ Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: C&F HACKED?

fatmac wrote:
I've just had a day of not being able to connect for some reason, a server malfunction(?) possibly, but it's back again, using the same book marked link. This has also happened to me a couple of times in the past too, it usually gets sorted out within a day or two, then I just have to catch up.

There was an issue with the hosting service yesterday, which appears now to have been resolved, at any rate for now.

Author:  fatmac [ Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: C&F HACKED?

Thanks for the info, it's nice to be re assured. :thumbsup:

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/