What's the difference between Unread Posts and New Posts?

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
michaelpthompson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played whistles and flutes for many years, but I am looking to get more serious with it. I mostly play Irish traditional music, but I want to expand into native american as well.

What's the difference between Unread Posts and New Posts?

Post by michaelpthompson »

When I click on these, they mostly seem to be the same list of posts. I like to click for a list of posts made since my last visit, as I mark the Forums read when I leave. I think this is New Posts, but I'm not sure I fully understand the difference.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
michaelpthompson
Tell us something.: I have played whistles and flutes for many years, but I am looking to get more serious with it. I mostly play Irish traditional music, but I want to expand into native american as well.

Re: What's the difference between Unread Posts and New Posts

Just tested this for clarification. I clicked "Mark Forums Read" and then "View Unread Posts." No posts listed. However, clicking "View New Posts" gives me a list of posts. Are New Posts just the most recent, whether I have read them or not?
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Basically, new posts are those that have been posted since you last visited, having marked the forum as read, & unread posts are those that you haven't read. Only works if you're logged in.

I always use new posts, then mark the forum as read. When I have time to spare I will sometimes look through some of the old post that I haven't read.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

fatmac wrote:Basically, new posts are those that have been posted since you last visited, having marked the forum as read, & unread posts are those that you haven't read. Only works if you're logged in.

I always use new posts, then mark the forum as read. When I have time to spare I will sometimes look through some of the old post that I haven't read.
Same. OP will note that another View new posts (I stayed logged in & access from my browser bookmarks) will still show the most recent ones since last logged in, but the icons on the left side of the index will now be cleared, rather than yellow.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
michaelpthompson

Thanks people, that clears up a lot.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
michaelpthompson

kkrell wrote:
fatmac wrote:OP will note that another View new posts (I stayed logged in & access from my browser bookmarks) will still show the most recent ones since last logged in, but the icons on the left side of the index will now be cleared, rather than yellow.
I did notice that, yes.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!