View active topics?

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
Thomaston
antispam: No

Re: View active topics?

Post by Thomaston »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Thomaston wrote:I've got my bookmark set to take me directly to "view new posts." I don't think I miss any topics using this method.
'View new posts' only shows what's new since you last did something or other (it's not even logging out because I never do that at home) so has a very limited time scope compared to 'View active topics'... think, because I don't log out, it must be detecting periods of inactivity when I've not done anything for x number of minutes. 'View unread posts' removes that time limitation, but obviously doesn't keep the ones you've read, which is why I find 'View active topics' so useful because I'll frequently want to go back to something or read a few things from whatever forums before replying to any.
benhall.1 wrote:See above, Thomaston. The issue is resolved.
It is indeed. Though I'm pretty sure 'View active topics' used to include everything and am wondering what's the rationale for restricting its range? Like does the board actually warn you as an admin to go easy due to processing overheads or something?
Ok, I edited my bookmark. Gonna try it your way for a while and see which I like better.
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

You can of course hop between the two once you're here to see what you're missing either way... which is what I've been doing since Ben restored 'active topics' without reassigning all the previous forums to it. So my bookmark's still 'active topics' but I'm also checking 'new posts' (hence discovering your reply to reply to here!). Can cope with limitations on 'active topics' when it was just the totally inactive version that was so disconcerting!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:You can of course hop between the two once you're here to see what you're missing either way... which is what I've been doing since Ben restored 'active topics' without reassigning all the previous forums to it. So my bookmark's still 'active topics' but I'm also checking 'new posts' (hence discovering your reply to reply to here!). Can cope with limitations on 'active topics' when it was just the totally inactive version that was so disconcerting!
I understand that. I'm even going to add UIE and this forum. Just for you.* :)

* Actually, that would be fun if one could do that. :twisted:
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

There. Done.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Appreciated! :)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?