Forum error messages

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
Tor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Forum error messages

Post by Tor »

Today, when I refreshed the forum page, my screen was filled with
Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/cfforum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483
Some upgrade of some software ran into an issue with the forum setup, perhaps?

(Edit: Previewing this message creates a screenfull as well..)
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Re: Forum error messages

Post by Sirchronique »

Yeah, wow... The forum has gone extremely trippy, and I can't read PM's.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Was odd for me earlier today but appears to be fine now. For me at least.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I have been able to temporarily fix the problem. Here's my summary of what I believe is going on and what lies ahead.

This board runs on phpBB software, which was installed on our servers many, many years ago by Rich Lafferty, who maintained it for many years.

Rich bowed out quite a number of years ago and has not been able to help us, except on a couple of occasions when he was able to come in and help with specific problems.

The version of phpBB isn't the latest version.

In the meantime, our hosting service, Dreamhost, did a mandatory update of all their websites to the latest version of PHP, PHP is a server-side scripting language designed for web development but also used as a general-purpose programming language. If that last sentence sounds smart, it's because I copied and pasted it in.

Our current version of phpBB is not compatible with the new version of PHP. Thus the day just passed when the board behaved in very odd ways.

I have made a temporary fix (should take care of the month of March), which involves flipping a switch in the engine room that will allow the board to continue function via the older version of PHP. However, by April, that fix won't work anymore.

I believe what is required at this point is an upgrade of the board to the newest version. Because it's a big board, and the databases are old, and will require backing up and restoring the data....what could possibly go wrong?

Dale
Tor

Post by Tor »

Looks good now. I saw the same type of error messages on another site today, it wasn't even a forum - just some website I surfed through.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

It's doing it again here.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Tor

Post by Tor »

Yes, confirmed. It's baack..