not authorised to send PMs

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
BullFighter
antispam: No

not authorised to send PMs

Post by BullFighter »

Hi!
i've been messing around whith my profile settings, changing my email adress and pasword, and after re-loging again and posting a topic, i've get an email notifiying me i had a PM... followed the link... just to discover a disclaimer telling me i'm not authorised to send (nor read received ones, i supose) PMs.

:puppyeyes:
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: not authorised to send PMs

Post by benhall.1 »

Sorted (I think). PM sent.
BullFighter

Post by BullFighter »

benhall.1 wrote:Sorted (I think). PM sent.
:thumbsup: thanks!!!
fied

Post by fied »

I have the same problem. Might someone sort it, please.

Also, I can't get through to members when clicking on their names above their avatars in a post. The type remains black and unclickable.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

fied wrote:I have the same problem. Might someone sort it, please.

Also, I can't get through to members when clicking on their names above their avatars in a post. The type remains black and unclickable.
You have to complete the approval process first to get full user permissions. Please check out CCCP #2 for more detail. For that matter, do check out the entire CCCP; it'll familiarise you with how we roll, here.

The names above the avatars are unclickable. Use the Profile clicky at bottom left of the post field if you want user profile info. You won't be able to send or receive PMs until you're fully approved. You should be able to do emails just fine, though.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
fied

Post by fied »

Many thanks.
cbs
Tell us something.: I am interested in tunes and tune books.
I am really interested in tunes and tune books.
Truly, I am interested in tunes and tune books.

Post by cbs »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

I think I can understand a policy of not immediately allowing a new user to send a private message, but I don't understand why a new user is not allowed to read a private message sent to him/her by someone else. I now have a private message that I cannot read! Does the sender know that?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

cbs wrote:I think I can understand a policy of not immediately allowing a new user to send a private message, but I don't understand why a new user is not allowed to read a private message sent to him/her by someone else. I now have a private message that I cannot read! Does the sender know that?
If the sender doesn't know, he or she hasn't read Policy. That's beyond our control. You'd be surprised how many older members here are still blithely unknowing of the rules that are right in front of their faces, particularly as regards the UIE (Used Instruments Exchange).

Your being unable to access your PMs is part and parcel with being unable to send them. Short of eliminating that preliminary cautionary measure altogether (which we don't see happening, as it's proved its administrative usefulness often enough for Admin to keep it), that is also beyond our control. Your best solution is obvious: Post your way to approved full status, and in the meantime send an email.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
cbs
Tell us something.: I am interested in tunes and tune books.
I am really interested in tunes and tune books.
Truly, I am interested in tunes and tune books.

Post by cbs »

What I was asking is whether the sender is informed that he/she has sent a private message to someone who is not permitted to read it. Even if someone is aware of the policy, do they necessarily know the status of the recipient?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

cbs wrote:What I was asking is whether the sender is informed that he/she has sent a private message to someone who is not permitted to read it. Even if someone is aware of the policy, do they necessarily know the status of the recipient?
If they're aware of policy, it follows that they should know your status from your post count (but whether they note that or not is still yet another thing beyond our control). No, they're not sent a notice to that effect; this website isn't endowed with such higher-end automatic capabilities, so a small bit of initiative - like the old-school practice of paying attention, for example - is called for. As to new member status, it's all in the CCCP, entry #2, as already stated above in this thread. Also to repeat: While you're at it, we encourage you to read the CCCP and familiarize yourself with the general thing. It's a helpful - and periodically updated - resource that will keep you on top of all things Chiffy.

Anyway, cbs, with 3 approved posts you are now at full status, so for you the issue has already been rendered moot.
Annke
Tell us something.: I’ve been playing a 3 keyed flute for 15 years. Now I want to get a 6 keyed flute. A friend recommended that I check out one on this site.

Post by Annke »

Hi there,
I see an instrument for sale in a post but we’re not allowed to reply to the post and I’m not authorized to PM this person to see if it’s still available and get a price etc... I’m new to the forum and don’t particularly have lots of my own posts to put up in order to get to a status where in can PM. Can you please change my settings to allow me to send this PM?
Many thanks.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Annke wrote:Hi there,
I see an instrument for sale in a post but we’re not allowed to reply to the post and I’m not authorized to PM this person to see if it’s still available and get a price etc... I’m new to the forum and don’t particularly have lots of my own posts to put up in order to get to a status where in can PM. Can you please change my settings to allow me to send this PM?
Many thanks.
Sorry, no exceptions. Three posts are not "lots". This site is intended to be a social one first, not a market, so at least do us that courtesy. Thanks.

In the meantime, nothing's stopping you from contacting the seller by email. That option's always available whatever your status, and it's been covered in this thread, as well.
Annke
Tell us something.: I’ve been playing a 3 keyed flute for 15 years. Now I want to get a 6 keyed flute. A friend recommended that I check out one on this site.

Post by Annke »

Nanohedron wrote:Sorry, no exceptions. Three posts are not "lots". This site is intended to be a social one first, not a market, so at least do us that courtesy. Thanks.

In the meantime, nothing's stopping you from contacting the seller by email. That option's always available whatstatus, and it's been covered in this thread, as well.
Thanks for your reply. I’m totally new to this site and still trying to navigate my way around it. I would have felt that even three posts, if you have nothing of particular interest to say, could be considered spam.
Also, you say I can always send an email, but I’ve looked at the profile of the person who posted originally and there is no email listed for them, and there’s no ‘Email’ option at the bottom of their post, as there is with other posts. Perhaps I’m missing something?
Thanks.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, you're just on the verge of your third post already, so keep 'em coming. This is all stuff we consider substantial enough for approval. :)

Let me know privately who this seller is, and I'll check. Everyone's supposed to have a working email address, so I need to find out.

So in the meantime, give us another post, and you'll be approved for full permissions. Then you can use the PM function to contact me, and likewise the seller.
Annke

Post by Annke »

That’s great! Hadn’t thought of these posts. Thanks for that. I’ll PM you then with those details.
Thanks for your help.