recording/posting tunes

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I wish to record a tune to post on Clips'n'Snips. When I record with my Windows sound recorder I just don't get a satisfying volume even after cranking my microphone volume all the way up. Can anyone suggest a solution or perhaps some free wares I can download for a better sound recorder? I've tried some shareware programs where I was able to get good volume but you could record a limited amount. Thanks for you help.
Cheers,
Aaron

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AaronMalcomb on 2003-02-20 20:09 ]</font>
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Recording software may not be able to compensate for low mic gain. Try to correct this first.

What mic are you using?
Is it plugged into the mic input or line in on the sound card?
Did it ever have enough volume to record with?
Is there a speaker icon in the lower right tray?

Some sound cards allow for a mic boost that is usually accessed from the 'advanced' selection of the volume controls. See if this raises the volume.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Wow, I almost forgot I posted this.
I'm just using an omnidirectional mic I bought from Radio Shack. It's definitely plugged into the mic jack, not the line-in. The mic works fine on a tape recorder. I've cranked up the volume on the advanced volume settings with only small improvement. I have found that if I record onto tape then record through the line-in I get good results. This is true on both my old 100mhz pentium and my new 1ghz Gateway computer. So, that's the story thus far.
Cheers,
Aaron
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I bought some recording software and the mic works fine now. I get plenty of volume and the program does its own mp3/wav conversions. Now, what tunes to record...
Cheers,
Aaron