What whistle related apps / programs do you use?

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
bwoodruff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

What whistle related apps / programs do you use?

Post by bwoodruff »

Do you use any apps or programs related to whistle playing? Anything from sheet music, to tuners, to apps that play a background track / accompaniment with you?

So far I just have one: TE Tuner for iOS, which is (as the name implies) a tuner. But I'm also looking at downloading MuseScore for both Windows and OS X (sheet music).

Any apps you'd recommend?
misterpatrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: What whistle related apps / programs do you use?

Post by misterpatrick »

Amazing Slow Downer is a really great tool for slowing down, changing pitch and looping sections of audio. Works for most platforms including mobile. I also used Tunebook on my iPhone which is a great resource for collecting sheet music via ABC. It also allows for direct downloading of ABC's from various sources including theSession.org.

http://ronimusic.com/
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

I love Amazing Slow Downer too but also use Capo on my Mac which also allows pitch and speed to be adjusted while helping in accurate transcription of tunes by identifying chords, the time signature, note length etc. http://supermegaultragroovy.com/products/capo/
bwoodruff

Post by bwoodruff »

Nice! Thanks for sharing. I did end up downloading MuseScore and have written out a few pieces that I either only had "tabs" for, or the sheet music was in poor condition. I'll have to check out Amazing Slow Downer.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Mikethebook wrote:I love Amazing Slow Downer too but also use Capo on my Mac which also allows pitch and speed to be adjusted while helping in accurate transcription of tunes by identifying chords, the time signature, note length etc. http://supermegaultragroovy.com/products/capo/
Another option is Transcribe! which will slow tempo, adjust pitch, give best guesses as to notes intonation and/or chords, loop segments, etc.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

iPad:
The Craic for displaying ABC as sheet music.
4QuarterSet for drones. :)

Android:
TunePal for figuring out what it is I'm playing. Absolutely essential, there's an iOs version too.
Gstrings Tuner for tuning.
TapeMachine Recorder for quick digital recording.

OS X:
Fission for breaking up MP3 files.
Audio Hijack for recording things playing on the Mac or quick recordings from the built-in microphone.
youtube-dl for downloading tunes from YouTube.
abc2ly with LilyPond for sheet music.
VLC for slowing down tunes.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Mr Ed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr Ed »

Play it Slowly - as the name implies, and pitch can be changed.
Gtick- a metronome. Rarely use it, but it's nice to have.
Audacity- It helps (and humbles) to record myself once in a while to hear what progress has been made and what needs work.

All of these are for Ubuntu (Linux). Audacity can probably be run on just about anything now if memory serves.
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

Flutini - play a tune to your computer and it will tell you how in tune every note is.

Really useful for identifying and solving dead spots, or in extreme cases deciding which instruments to cull!

http://www.novasession.org/Flutini/
olly498

Post by olly498 »

I use the Synthesia app on my iPad to download MIDI files, it then let's me play them on a piano roll and set the speed at which it plays. Also converts it to dots for me :) find it super handy!