Tuner App for Samsung S3

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Tuner App for Samsung S3

Post by benhall.1 »

Yes, I know there have been recent tuner threads, but I'm looking for something specific, so I'm starting a new thread. :)

I want, ideally, a free tuner app for my Samsung Galaxy S3, with a needle thingie and preferably with both cents and hertz. I could possibly use an app on an iPhone 5c but would rather use the Samsung (I have both).

Sorry to be mean and want a free one, but you know, look after the pennies ... :)

sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Re: Tuner App for Samsung S3

Post by sfmans »

I use gStrings on my S3 Mini. It meets all your basic requirements; the free version is ad-supported but the in-built ads aren't overly intrusive and you don't nag too often about upgrading to the paid version. It also seems to be pretty accurate as a tuner, which is a definite plus!

Despite the string-orientated name I've found it works just fine against a variety of wind and string instruments.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

I have PitchLab installed on a Galaxy tablet. It has a display with Hertz and a needle pointing to cents, although it doesn't show +/- cents as a number if that's what you're looking for. It also has a bunch of other cool displays including one to recognize full chords. Although I don't use it for tuning myself, it looks like it would do the job well. I think there's still a free version.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

sfmans wrote:I use gStrings on my S3 Mini. It meets all your basic requirements; the free version is ad-supported but the in-built ads aren't overly intrusive and you don't nag too often about upgrading to the paid version. It also seems to be pretty accurate as a tuner, which is a definite plus!

Despite the string-orientated name I've found it works just fine against a variety of wind and string instruments.
Hmmm ... I thought I had come across gStrings, but when I looked I couldn't find it ... I'll go and have another look now ...
Tunborough wrote:I have PitchLab installed on a Galaxy tablet. It has a display with Hertz and a needle pointing to cents, although it doesn't show +/- cents as a number if that's what you're looking for. It also has a bunch of other cool displays including one to recognize full chords. Although I don't use it for tuning myself, it looks like it would do the job well. I think there's still a free version.
Now, I haven't come across PitchLab. Maybe that would be fine. I might have a look after I've been and searched out gStrings.

Thanks both! I'll let you know how I get on ...
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

OK folks. I now have gStrings. :thumbsup: No cents as far as I can see, although it does have markers "13.7 cents from target". Which is a weird number ...

Now, Tunborough, you say PitchLab doesn't have cents either? If not, I'll have a go at gStrings for a while and see how I go.

Thanks both!

:)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Not Android, iPhone only ... But Peterson Tuners are currently running a Black Friday-to-Monday sale on their StroboSoft tuner app for $0.99. Display in cents or Hertz. That would be my choice. No better tuner IMO, except an actual strobe tuner (which I have).

http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm ... 50&sub=429
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/istrobo ... 96029?mt=8
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Tor

Post by Tor »

daTuner Beta has Hz and cents, no needle but various settings for the display. Changes colour too. It's pretty good. Free too.

-Tor
hinzaldi

Post by hinzaldi »

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Ben, I know you did buy the Peterson StroboSoft tuner for a buck. I'm curious if you like it, or if you ended up preferring one of the others.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

MTGuru wrote:Ben, I know you did buy the Peterson StroboSoft tuner for a buck. I'm curious if you like it, or if you ended up preferring one of the others.
Actually, I prefer the free one from gStrings. For me at least, I find it more user-friendly and the display is simple enough that even I can understand it. I couldn't get the Peterson one to display in any really simple way that was easy for me to understand. In other words, I suppose, I like the simple needle display.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Tor wrote:daTuner Beta has Hz and cents, no needle but various settings for the display. Changes colour too. It's pretty good. Free too.

-Tor
+1 for datuner
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I've been very happy with the Cleartune app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tune&hl=en
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.