Microphones

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
Preston L Howard
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Microphones

Post by Preston L Howard »

Hey y'all,
I'm in the market for a new mic set-up for on stage performance and I thought it would be infotaining to hear which mics you guys (uilleann pipers) prefer and where you place them. I've been using shure 58s and 57s for years but I'm starting to think about switching to condensers like AKG C 1000s etc.

Any thoughts?

-Cheers!

[ Moved here to Trad Tech, with a shadow link from Uilleann Forum. - Mod ]
No matter where you go, there you are

https://soundcloud.com/preston-ohiomhair
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Microphones

Post by bogman »

DPA 4099 is ideal for pipes of any sort. Velcro band fits round the chanter stock with the goose neck aiming the mic to the middle of the chanter. Comes with it's own pre-amp. http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/produc ... item=24379
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

I like to use an SM58 for my chanter and a C1000S for the drones/regs. I use the directional insert provided with the C1000S to reduce feedback issues.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

For stage use, the primary concern is the pattern. The louder the stage volume, the more narrow it needs to be. Well, that, and the form-factor -- mounted on the instrument or on a stand.

For an instrument, a flatter response will give the sound man a more true-to-life signal. But what comes out the PA speakers will be more a function of the sound man and the PA system than the microphone. In other words, it doesn't matter a whole lot what the microphone is. I'm saying this from the perspective of having been the sound man.
tompipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

The DPA mic mentioned is great. Pricey though and personally I prefer not to use clip on mics.
If you have a big budget, the Sennheiser 441 is fantastic and it doesn't need phantom power.

For a smaller budget the AKG D7 is a great all round mic (vocals, whistle, flute)

Tommy
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

tompipes wrote:The DPA mic mentioned is great. Pricey though and personally I prefer not to use clip on mics.
If you have a big budget, the Sennheiser 441 is fantastic and it doesn't need phantom power.
:o I can't imagine anyone using a $900 mic on stage, no matter what their budget was. But I'm sure some people do...

For a smaller budget the AKG D7 is a great all round mic (vocals, whistle, flute)
According to the manufacturer's specs, that one is really bright. Do you find you need to EQ down the top?