New tuner

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
Ben Steen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

New tuner

Post by Ben Steen »

My old Korg Orchestral Tuner finally bit the dust, or should I say it had issues w/spillage? Yes it absorbed too much fluid & yes I'll try to dry it out. We've been together too long for me to just toss the tuner out.

So I am looking for a new tuner. The Old Korg has worked well for many years so I'm starting my search there (as far as brand name). The latest OT-120 is definitely updated from the one I now have, also interested in any first hand experience with clip on Dolcetto's; maybe the AW-3M if it works on flutes & whistles from high to low D . . . But what I'm really thinking about is Korg's WiTune http://www.zzounds.com/item--KORWR01

Whichever tuner I buy it will have a Sound Out function. Just as a sidebar I'd like to hear what's been happening lately w/tone generator apps. I doubt I'll be using one (unless it's downloadable on my Inspiron) but it's interesting to learn what's out there. From briefly looking at a few recent apps the best one looks to be TonalEnergy ~ http://tonalenergy.com/products/te-tuner/ {though I cannot use it either as I'm lacking the proper hardware}

Let me know what you know. I appreciate hearing what others are experiencing with recent gadgets, apps, etc.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: New tuner

Post by plunk111 »

If you have a smartphone, "cleartune" will do everything you need/want. I have it on my iPhone and use it a lot. If you don't want to go that route, the "Snark" works great - it uses both vibrations and a mic. Not sure about the sound out capability - I don't use that.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Ben Steen

Post by Ben Steen »

Thanks Pat. I'll try one of the Snarks since I know a few people who have them.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Nowadays I like the Peterson pseudo-Strobe tuners; I find the strobe display very intuitive, especially in less than ideal settings. They're available as a stand-alone, clip-on, or iOS/Android app.

For more careful tuning/intonation, I prefer software tuners such as the free Shaku tuner. Or my old Conn ST-11 Strobotuner (predecessor to Peterson).

But I also still use and like my original Korg DT-1 tuner, which is still going strong after ~30 years. No spills yet ... :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Ben Steen

Post by Ben Steen »

Thanks again for the responses. For now I thought it best to replace the tuner & look into software &/or upgrading hardware later. Before posting this I wasn't aware how inexpensive it was to buy a Snark tuner; & I might have bought one except it seems around local musicians there's always a few Snarks. I'll try a few at tonight's session.

So, I went on Ebay & ordered a Gogo TT-1.

Cheers!