RTTA iPhone app

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
Dan Gordon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

RTTA iPhone app

Post by Dan Gordon »

For those iPhone users out there who are interested in RTTA (Real Time Tuning Analyis), I have written an app called RTTATuner that is now available on the app store. Sorry, unfortunately there is no Android version - anyone out there who wants to take a crack at it? As I put a lot of work into this app, I am charging US$4 for it.

By the way, I'll give a present in the form of an iTunes voucher to the first person to tell me the significance of the app icon :) Just pm me if you think you know the answer...

I hope you enjoy using it.

Note to moderators: I think I'm abiding by the forum guidelines in making this announcement - I have certainly tried to...

Cheers, Dan
paddler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: RTTA iPhone app

Post by paddler »

I just bought this to run on my iPad. It is excellent! It is so easy to use, and so informative. I already burned an hour playing various antique and modern flutes in front of it, and I can tell I'm going to be spending a lot more time with it! Thank you for making this available to us!
Dan Gordon

Post by Dan Gordon »

Many thanks for the kind words Paddler. I'm glad you liked it.

A hint about the app icon - it has something to do with a historical document, a composer, and temperaments.

Cheers, Dan
Dan Gordon

Post by Dan Gordon »

The winners of the contest for the significance of the app icon are Philippe Alain-Dupré and Godfried Croenen. As they pointed out, it is a close up of one of the ornamental flourishes on the title page of Bach's Well Tempered Clavier. Other flourishes on the page have been interpreted as giving a cryptic clue to the temperament used by Bach. I used it for its connection to temperaments and tuning, because it looks somewhat like a crazy treble clef with warped staves (perhaps indicating mistunings or flexibility of tuning) and because I play baroque flute and appreciate that music.

Thanks to those who guessed!

Cheers, Dan
Last edited by Dan Gordon on Thu May 08, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

Hi Dan,
great app! Could you include a way to turn off the auto-off-feature from within the app?
Best, Moritz
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

Just bought it... Great app! Much more convenient than dragging out the laptop to run the application. Seems to be pretty accurate, too. A nice addition would be the ability to export a PDF of the results. Are you planning an iPad version?

Pat
Last edited by plunk111 on Thu May 08, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Dan Gordon

Post by Dan Gordon »

Hi Moritz and Pat,

Both are excellent points.

A few people have asked about an export function, which in hindsight I should have put in from the start. Is having a PDF important to you, Pat, or is export to text via email also a good way to go?

Moritz, I believe the answer is: yes. It seems obvious in hindsight!

Both improvements, along with one or two extra temperaments, will be included in the first update that I'll put together in two or three weeks.

If anyone else has anything for the wish list, please pipe up!

Also, don't be shy about posting a rating or review to the app store - this helps me out...

Cheers, Dan
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

If it exports a PDF, you can "open in" another app, such as iBooks or ForScore, etc. It's not that important, but it would be nice... Also, I edited to ask if you are planning an iPad version.

Pat
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Mentions on the description page (linked above) that it's compatible with an "iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch". Am I misinterpreting?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

It doesn't come up in a search with my iPad...

Pat
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

And on the RTTASupport site it only mentions iPhones. Have to wait for the OP to check back in and clarify I guess...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
paddler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by paddler »

I've been running it on my iPad.

Jon
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

@Jon: does it run as an iPhone app or a (full screen) iPad app? I can't find it doing a search for "RTTATuner" using my iPad...

Pat
Dan Gordon

Post by Dan Gordon »

There have been questions about the iPad compatibility. It's partly down to Apple quirkiness.

I didn't specifically write in iPad compatibility, and specified iPhone when I wrote the app. But it is possible to run in "iPhone" mode on an iPad running iOS 7.0 or later. You will either see a magnified view of the equivalent of an iPhone screen, or a little iPhone screen in the middle of your iPad screen. I have personally only tested it on my iPad mini (it worked well), but others report running it on regular iPads, I believe.

When you're searching the app store using an iPad, you need to first run the search (e.g. for "RTTATuner"). No results will come up, but in the top bar, near the "Cancel" button, there will be a drop down menu from which you can select "iPhone only". If you do so, the listing for the app will come up and can be purchased.

Hope this helps,

Dan

PS somewhere down the track I'll write an iPad specific UI - maybe on the second update.
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

Got it...