Shure 55 for Trad?

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Shure 55 for Trad?

Post by MTGuru »

Maybe I'm delusional (don't answer that). But it seems to me that I've been seeing the classic Shure 55 popping up everywhere lately as a vocal mike in videos, TV performances, etc. Not that it's ever completely gone away, with its distinctive Art Deco style. But I sense a retro revival underway.

So the question is if anyone here has tried using the 55 for whistle or flute (or anything) - either the 55SH or "Super" 55. The specs are very similar to the SM57/58, perhaps a bit brighter and less compressed. So it should be a good match for our winds and strings. But maybe the sense of being able to point/angle a straight mike and clip where you want it outweighs the retro cool factor.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Feadoggie

Re: Shure 55 for Trad?

Post by Feadoggie »

I have it through credible sources that Elvis did indeed play whistle when things got quiet in the jungle room. And I have also heard that his lip quivered because he always worked so hard on his embouchure. He would have "shurely" played through an SM55.

I have not used a Model 55 since 1967 when I converted to EV 664's.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Feadoggie wrote:Image

I have it through credible sources that Elvis did indeed play whistle when things got quiet in the jungle room. And I have also heard that his lip quivered because he always worked so hard on his embouchure. He would have "shurely" played through an SM55.

I have not used a Model 55 since 1967 when I converted to EV 664's.

Feadoggie

Feadoggie,
You think things ever really got quiet in the "Jungle Room"? I wouldn't bet my Blue Suede Shoes on it! :D

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Squeeky Elf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Squeeky Elf »

They look cool, but I have only run across one case where it was the best mic I auditioned for a task. Kinda like a 58 minus the mid hump and a definate accent of the highs. In a word: thin. Your mileage and alla dat.
“Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Squeeky Elf wrote:They look cool, but I have only run across one case where it was the best mic I auditioned for a task. Kinda like a 58 minus the mid hump and a definate accent of the highs. In a word: thin. Your mileage and alla dat.
Ah, interesting. That's a helpful description.

Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

Green Grass Trad :D

Shure 55
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Jleo Fipple wrote:Green Grass Trad :D

Shure 55
Nice. :-) And close, but that mic is actually not a 55. I wonder what it is? There are no rear or top/bottom grille vents, which I'd assume contribute to the cardiod pattern of the 55. In fact, I've wondered how cupping the 55 in your hand - which happens a lot, whether hand-held or on a stand - affects the response.

Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

MTGuru wrote:Nice. And close, but that mic is actually not a 55. I wonder what it is?
Yeah, me too. Looks like it might be one of the EV Mercury models maybe a 611 or 911.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNSCIBpDCNU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Beh7viOWYfk

They had fewer vents than the 55 and some had the solid case in the back. I could be wrong though. There were so many similar deco designed mics back in the day. I love the variety in the looks of old microphones.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

According to the graph in the brochure, it is +10 db at 6000 hz. Might not be a good match for whistles, unless you like them shrill... Probably make the G's really scream too.