Another free course -- "Introduction to Music Production"

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
Caroluna
antispam: No

Another free course -- "Introduction to Music Production"

Post by Caroluna »

I think this is the course we were expecting to get last month. Here's the syllabus

https://www.coursera.org/course/musicproduction
Lesson 1: Recording Signal Flow
Sound, Microphones, Cables, Microphone Preamp, A to D Converter, DAW, DSP, D to A converter, Amplifier, Speakers (path of speaker is same as waveshape in DAW)
Lesson 2: DAW (Editing)
Multitrack Concept, Audio vs. MIDI, Regions and Sound Files, File Management, Grid, Trim, Cut, Paste, Crossfade, Automate, Software Instruments, MIDI Editing, Bounce
Lesson 3: Mixer (Summing)
Adding Waveforms, Mute and Solo, Stereo and Mono, Panning, Busses, Submix, Insert, Categories of Effects, Sends, Pre/Post Sends, Aux Tracks/Returns
Lesson 4: Dynamics Processing
Dynamic Range, Distortion and Noise, Volume Automation, Envelope (RMS), Dynamic Processors, Attack and Release, Conceptual Downward Expander and Gate, Conceptual Compressor and Limiter, Practical Gate, Practical Compressor
Lesson 5: Delay and Filters
Conceptual Delay, Delay Spectrum, Filters, Equalization, Short Delay (Comb Filter), Short Modulated Delay (Flanger), Long Delay (Synchronized), Reverb, Depth in Mixing
Lesson 6: Synthesizer
Synthesizer and Sampler, Synthesizer Overview, Oscillator, Filter, Amplifier, Modulation, Envelope, LFO, A Language of Timbre
Looks like there will be some overlap ("what is sound" "how does a synthesizer work") but more detail in the nuts-and-bolts section.
fearfaoin

Re: Another free course -- "Introduction to Music Production"

Post by fearfaoin »

Thanks, Caroluna. I meant to put up thread for this but didn't get around to it.

Starts next week, folks. Sign up quick.
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

A digression (but not by much).

Kevin (16) is in pre-calc this year and now they are discussing sine, cosine, amplitude, frequency, etc.
The teacher believes in using demonstrations whenever possible, so he was showing how the sound of a tuning fork looks on an oscilloscope, what happens if you strike two tuning forks with different frequencies at the same time, etc. Every time the teacher did this he would strike the tuning fork sharply against his own knee. The cute girl sitting next to Kevin kept wincing sympathetically. Finally Kevin looked over to her and said "I know. Hertz."
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Caroluna wrote:"I know. Hertz."
Ha! Nice. I like to say "That's 2.5 Hertz on the OuchDammit-O-Meter".