ADK Laptops for audio recording

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
Cayden
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

ADK Laptops for audio recording

Post by Cayden »

Do any of you who do home recording use ADK laptops for recording? If so, could you specify the model, your applications, and your overall experience with the system specific to (1) Performance (2) Reliability (3) Customer / end user support, both technical and specific to repair service if needed. (4) Total level of satisfaction with elaboration on any noted PRO's and CON's. Also please make note of what OS you are using.

Thank you to any respondants in advance. :thumbsup:

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Feadoggie

Re: ADK Laptops for audio recording

Post by Feadoggie »

Cayden, I have no experience with ADK laptops. I'd be surprised if any/many people posting here have. I am sure they are good units.

I would observe that the ADK laptops are overkill for the average home recordist. The specs are well over the top of what most people use. They seem to be geared for the high end professional running Pro Tools with a load of add-ons. Since they go on about Firewire interfaces (the Agere chips are fine IME) I can tell that they are geared at a market niche you likely are not part of. But if you are headed that way great. Go for it.

Much of my recording is done through desktop machines. PCI based interfaces are cleaner and faster IME. You may not need to go there either.

Most any current laptop will be more than enough to do home recording. Pick the software and interface that you will use and base your PC requirements on the suggestions by the makers of those products. Just try to get a laptop that runs cool and has a quiet fan.

One thing I will note from looking at new releases from NAMM last week is that the human interface to recording suites is moving towards using more and more touch screen input. So take a look at the latest version of your chosen software and see if you want to go in that direction too. I'm staying with trackballs and mice for the foreseeable future myself. And if you are an iPad or Android tablet kind of guy, take that into consideration too. Lots more new stuff is moving in that direction.

But if you want affidavits on ADK systems go over to Gearslutz, SOS or Recording.org. You'll find plenty there.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Cayden
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Re: ADK Laptops for audio recording

Post by Cayden »

Feadoggie,
Thanks for the help! PM sent.

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!