Alternatives to Soundcloud?

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
Katharine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Alternatives to Soundcloud?

Post by Katharine »

I need to drop Soundcloud like a bad habit.

Now that they've gone all "new," they've made it so if you play one of a person's tracks, three more so-called "related tracks" at the bottom of the page automatically load and play as soon as the first track is over. Despite a lot of complaints, it doesn't look like Soundcloud's going to remove this feature or allow users to choose to disable it.

This is completely unacceptable to me, so it's time for me to move on (or, take my toys and go home, if you prefer. :D ). I use my Soundcloud for sharing stuff with select people, not to promote myself, and if I link someone to one track, it doesn't mean I want them automatically hearing whatever other tracks of mine SC decides to play for them. I have everything up there from stuff that is somewhat polished, to stuff that is totally NOT, and I don't want to link someone to something and then have some piece-of-crap track that I don't want seeing the light of day to play for them next. I could use private tracks, but I often share with people who just aren't tech-savvy enough to grasp it (like my mom).

So I need to move my music to something else. I've tried Googling "alternatives to Soundcloud" but usually what I find are people looking for functionality I don't need. I am not looking to market my music (it's mostly covers), or share it at large (so no Pandora-radio-like sites that will pull from my music and play it randomly on someone's player). I just want to be able to put my music up there, and link family or friends to a piece and be like "Yeah, here's my version of Love Is a Battlefield / O Mio Babbino Caro / Be Thou My Vision / whatever." no fuss, no muss, and nothing where they have to create a membership to a site to hear it or find a confusing "download" link or anything. That's what I like about SC--well, the old SC. I could just say "click this link and hit the 'play' button" and voila, there was my music, and I could link someone to an individual track, etc.

I have an account with Chirbit, but I dropped that in favor of SC because it was slightly a pain in the arse and I never knew if it worked correctly for people, anyway (but I'll go back to it if I can't find a better alternative). I know a lot of you use Box.net, but it's a general file download site and I don't know if it has any sort of player, or one that would work with all OSs/browsers? I'd be interested in hearing what all of you think of it as a simple link-and-play operation. I can't tell what Bandcamp is all about but it seems almost like another Reverbnation of sorts, and Reverbnation doesn't have the ability to link to individual tracks OR to write down info about a track. And all of the other alternatives (mixcloud.com, house-mixes.com, etc.) I've heard of seem geared to people who do electronica, and who are also looking to market/gain exposure for their stuff.

Thanks in advance! (It's possible I missed similar posts to this, but trying to do a search on "soundcloud" or "box.net" brings up mostly links to recordings, so...)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
MTGuru

Re: Alternatives to Soundcloud?

Post by MTGuru »

Katharine wrote:I know a lot of you use Box.net, but it's a general file download site and I don't know if it has any sort of player, or one that would work with all OSs/browsers?
Box.net is very straightforward. For sound files it presents a simple online player that ought to work with any current browser. Or just download and play with your default player app (which I much prefer anyway). No autoplaying unless you want it. Organize your stuff in folders, and control which shared links are public or private.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Re: Alternatives to Soundcloud?

Post by Katharine »

Thanks! It does sound like the way to fly, then.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.