Compatibility of wireless headsets with Zoom H4N Recorder

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
Cayden
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Compatibility of wireless headsets with Zoom H4N Recorder

Post by Cayden »

Does anyone know if Logitech Wireless Headphone Sets will interface / are compatible with the Zoom H4N recorder?

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Feadoggie

Re: Compatibility of wireless headsets with Zoom H4N Recorder

Post by Feadoggie »

Cayden, I am not sure what you have in mind for the wireless headset. The Zoom has a line level output that is compatible with headphones using a mini phone plug. That connector is not compatible with the microphone in the Zoom (AFAIK). It's output only meant for monitoring and listening to recordings.

Of course there are separate low impedance and high impedance inputs for microphones for each channel, as well as the built in mics.

Hope that helps.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Feadoggie,
I just wanted to use a pair of Logitechs I have to monitor and listen to sound going through Zoom H4N without using a cable connection between headset and recorder if that is possible.

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Yes, the phones should work. I use either headphones or ear-buds to monitor my Zoom sometimes but more generally for playback listening.

Actually I guess I should ask if your wireless headphones are the type that use the usb receiver. I can't think of a simple way that you would connect those. Some Logitech models have a receiver that has a mini-phone plug for use with iPods and other MP3 players. But the ones made for use with PC's/Laptops just use a usb nano receiver these days and have no legacy audio connectors.

But any headphones (or ear-buds) with a mini phone plug will work through the Zoom's line-out connection

I was more concerned that you wanted to use the mic. Many Logitech wireless headphones have the mic for gaming use. I am sure that could be done with an appropriate splitter cable and proper phone plugs into the hi-Z inputs. You'd get better results with the built-in mics for most recording purposes though.

Enjoy.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Feadoggie,
My Logitech headset was a gift. It does use the usb nano receiver technology you mentioned, so I think you are right in that there would no easy way to use them with the Zoom H4N. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff