Is it possible to use a Kindle/iPad for sheet music?

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
James_Alto
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Is it possible to use a Kindle/iPad for sheet music?

Post by James_Alto »

My computer is on its last legs and blinking fast.

I'm wondering whether it's possible to buy a kindle, and upload all of my digitised sheet music onto the kindle, and carry the kindle around instead.

Does it have a zoom or automatic scrolling function, to move the page at a rate per second?
Is it possible to upload from one's own hard-drive, rather than have to get specific types of sale items from music/book stores?

I wonder whether an iPad would be better in this respect. I'm not a fan of carrying more heat generating electronic gadgets, but the weight of all the music books I carry around is getting to me.

Anyone doing this already? Any feedback?

Thanks in anticipation.
Latticino
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Is it possible to use a Kindle/iPad for sheet music?

Post by Latticino »

Have Kindle 2 and have done this using scans to PDF. Is better than nothing, but font size is rather small for a full tune. Mostly only good for a memory aid, which is all I try to use it for. My kindle does not have autoscroll. Maybe gen 3 does, it has a slightly larger screen. You can also put mp3 of the tune on your kindle, but with a pad you could presumably stream video or even Skype with a teacher. Of course kindles are lighter and hold a charge forever. Both have their plus side.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
Blaydo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blaydo »

I don't have a kindle so I don't know what types of files it can handle, but it wouldn't be as flexible as a tablet as it's mainly designed for reading books in a certain format. However I think you'd be better off with a tablet PC, I would not recommend an ipad as they are overpriced and over-hyped. Personally I'd go with an android based tablet. What I have is a Hannspad which only cost around $200. These things are like laptops, you can do anything on them. Whatever format your sheet music is on your PC, you'll be able to view it on a tablet PC.

It's the same file system as your PC, I just copied across my entire "Tin Whistle" folder which has all sorts of files, mp3's, downloaded youtube videos, sheet music in all formats from pictures to pdf. They all open on the tablet just like your PC.

I have to ask though, why do you carry around so much sheet music? Hardly to a session? If you're teaching with it and you need to show a number of people a piece of music, you could always use one of those small portable projectors. They can store all your sheet music in image format too.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I use my iPad and the forScore app when playing at church and it works great. Just go to the app store and search for "forScore". It's not cheap, but I find it perfect for my purposes. It can import PDFs directly (most of which I create in Finale); it allows you to annotate the music (which verses to play, etc); it lets you keep setlists (I have Irish, church, etc); half-page turns; LOTS more. I love it!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
cboody

Post by cboody »

The iPad can display music in a variety of ways and play the music in many ways.

Tunebook will play, print and/or display from abc files very well, though the music display is a bit smaller than I would like.

I use Good Reader for PDF files. If you have a big file of tunes you can trim the display to remove the white space on the edges and the result is notation very much the same size as on a 8.5 x 11 sheet.

It is a fine tool for music, particularly for tunes which almost always fit on a page.

Good Reader was free when I got it, but may cost now. Tunebook is quite inexpensive.

There are other tools too. Nothing wrong with the Android tablets I suspect, though I don't use one. The iPad is just fine for this though.

The one problem with the iPad is the display in bright sunlight can be hard to read. Readers like the Kindle are much better in that sort of light situation, but to my knowledge the screen size is a detriment.
david_h

Post by david_h »

I have used a Kindle with PDF files generated from ABC; they are more compact than PDFs with scans. You just upload them via USB. I was going on a trip where I had to travel light so I reckoned that uploading several old collections downloaded from the web as ABC, and throwing in a whistle and small mp3 player would be plenty to keep me amused and productive in spare moments. I didn't have many spare moments but it didn't take up much room. An mp3 player seems easier for mp3 and will have more capacity (or have they re-introduced memory cards on Kindles ?).

I am still not confident enough at sessions to take it along as a joke.
cunparis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by cunparis »

Blaydo wrote:I would not recommend an ipad as they are overpriced and over-hyped. Personally I'd go with an android based tablet. What I have is a Hannspad which only cost around $200. These things are like laptops, you can do anything on them. Whatever format your sheet music is on your PC, you'll be able to view it on a tablet PC.
I haven't seen those here in France. I saw a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 at the store and it compared very nicely to the ipad. The problem is the android phones don't have as many apps as the ipad. On my iphone I have a metronome and a tuner, both are free. It's hard to give up all those apps to get android, but at the same time I like the idea of copying over files instead of messing with itunes. I hate itunes and all the junk Apple forces on people.

I plan to get either ipad or android for christmas, still not sure which. I'm hoping prices drop before then, or right after.
Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

cunparis wrote:
Blaydo wrote:I would not recommend an ipad as they are overpriced and over-hyped. Personally I'd go with an android based tablet. What I have is a Hannspad which only cost around $200. These things are like laptops, you can do anything on them. Whatever format your sheet music is on your PC, you'll be able to view it on a tablet PC.
I haven't seen those here in France. I saw a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 at the store and it compared very nicely to the ipad. The problem is the android phones don't have as many apps as the ipad. On my iphone I have a metronome and a tuner, both are free. It's hard to give up all those apps to get android, but at the same time I like the idea of copying over files instead of messing with itunes. I hate itunes and all the junk Apple forces on people.

I plan to get either ipad or android for christmas, still not sure which. I'm hoping prices drop before then, or right after.
Might be best to wait until after Christmas as the prices will drop and new models will come out. The Galaxy is Apple's main rival in both phones and tablets, but they are not the best value for money either. The best value android tablet for the hardware you get is the one I have, the hannspad. Cheapest dual core 1Ghz on the market. Anything negative said about it in reviews is based on stock models but you can root the device with new firmware and put the latest versions of android on it and everything works perfectly. The only real negative about it is that it doesn't have a camera built in, but it does have a mic.

Don't worry about apps there's more than enough of them on the Android market and that's growing even quicker than Apple's store. Here for example you can see a free metronome and free tuner, one of many:

https://market.android.com/details?id=g ... rch_result
https://market.android.com/details?id=o ... rch_result

Here's the tablet, I paid 204 Euro including shipping from another site but they're out of stock at the moment. You should be able to find it from a French online retailer, if you do make sure it's the model 53 and not 33, Manufacturer ID: SN10T1-1653:

http://www.ebuyer.com/271191-hannspree- ... n10t1-1653

Plus you don't have to mess around with iTunes, you'll have no problems with Flash! and you can extend the memory with SD cards.
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

Hi Guys,

I had barely glanced at the replies, but figured as soon as I read what you all said, that I definitely didn't want an Apple iPad thing!

Apple stuff is great - I predominantly use Mac, but they seem to be a little pricey (although Sony Vaio computers are very expensive, and aren't as well spec'd out recently). Plus I couldn't figure out the difference between wanting an iPhone, iPod or iPad, or iMac, or Airbook arkgh! My laptop is running 7 years old and so ....

I was a bit impulsive and ummm.... I went out today and bought errr..... a Samsung Galaxy Android SII. I'm just taking it out of the box now, and I realise that there's no way I'm going to read music from it, being less than 7inch screen.

So what was the point of buying it?! :boggle: I think I just swooned and handed $$$ over because it was so much more portable than lugging a 17" laptop around just for emails and things...
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

You've received some useful advice here but, with all due respect, some of it is grossly inaccurate particularly that about the iPad. iTunes is not required. Overpriced or overhyped it's not, IMO. Thats like saying that a particular whistle is overpriced or overhyped. That's your opinion. Value is up to the individual.

I use both a Kindle and an iPad and a couple of different Android based tablets since I manage an IT department among other things. I have music scores on Kindle, iPad and one of the Androids. The Kindle works fine if the music is not too elaborate since, as previously noted, you can't scroll the screen.

The iPad is wonderful for music. You can not only scroll but you can zoom the screen. And I want to correct one grossly misstated argument against the iPad. It is not necessary to use iTunes to manage your iPad. Once activated by connecting to a Mac or PC with iTunes (which they will do for you at the Apple store), everything else (software applications, music, video, pdf files etc.) can be added directly by downloading from the iPad itself via the internet. I won't explain it all here but if you want to contact me via PM I'll explain it to you. Five minutes searching Google will explain it as well.

There are also wonderful apps like Soundhound, Tunepal and Capo to help you learn music which are not ubiquitously available for all platforms.

Flash is fine in iPad with the imminent release of Flash Player 11 and if you're talking about Youtube video, then "there's an app for that" now. And how much memory does one need? I have 32gb of storage. That's an enormous amount of sheet music and mp3 files.

When IOS 5 comes out later this month, even activation can be done without connection.

I have no beef with Android or PC tablets. They cost less. But let's don't state a fact unless it is a fact. Otherwise it's just your opinion.

ecohawk
Last edited by ecohawk on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
James_Alto

Post by James_Alto »

Thanks Ecohawk.

I'll see how I get on with the Samsung Galaxy SII. Sheet music can wait lol. If anything, I might find the camera function useful, as well as the Skype function!

I'm so fickle :lol:
Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

James_Alto wrote:I went out today and bought errr..... a Samsung Galaxy Android SII. I'm just taking it out of the box now, and I realise that there's no way I'm going to read music from it, being less than 7inch screen.
Ouch, it's the 10 inch we were talking about, that would have been perfect, can you not exchange it?? I didn't even know the Samsung Galaxy came in 7".
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

lol

The Galaxy S 2 is the mobile phone, not the tablet

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

BigDavy wrote:lol

The Galaxy S 2 is the mobile phone, not the tablet

David
LOL might be difficult to read sheet music from that so, 4" screen! Thought he bought a 7" version of the tablet which is bad enough.
Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

ecohawk wrote:Overpriced or overhyped it's not, IMO. But let's don't state a fact unless it is a fact. Otherwise it's just your opinion.
Let me get back to you on that as I obviously have to dig up the facts for you and I've busy days ahead. But I stand by what I said that both iphones and ipads are in fact overpriced and overhyped.