Is it possible to use a Kindle/iPad for sheet music?

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
cboody
antispam: No

Re: Is it possible to use a Kindle/iPad for sheet music?

Post by cboody »

Blaydo wrote:
ecohawk wrote:Overpriced or overhyped it's not, IMO. But let's don't state a fact unless it is a fact. Otherwise it's just your opinion.
Let me get back to you on that as I obviously have to dig up the facts for you and I've busy days ahead. But I stand by what I said that both iphones and ipads are in fact overpriced and overhyped.
Oh for goodness sakes!

I say tomato you say tomahto. Let's call the whole thing off.

There is never going to be an end to the "Apple is great," "Apple is overhyped and overpriced" argument. Either side can amass lots of "facts," but truth to be told it is the interpretation of the facts that most opinions are based on and folks differ in those interpretations.

Rather than turning this into one of those arguments (which rage without end on various tech sites) let's stick to saying what we like about the tool we use.

Off the soap box... Sorry if this is out of line.

Note to MT: Is this still the war rooom :) ?
JackCampin

Post by JackCampin »

There is a very good ABC-rendering program for the iPad.

How useful it might be for creating ABC I don't know - the iPad seems designed to stop you authoring documents on it, but maybe somebody's found a text editor that works on it.
cunparis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by cunparis »

I spent 1 hour reading reviews today and I thought I'd share what I found:

The Samsung Galaxy has a lot of reviews on amazon written by people who had it either die on them, or get the oil slick problem (forgot what they called it) where the screen has rainbows on it. Look at the 3* reviews on amazon. Lots of people say it lags. Overall my impression is it's not quite up to par with the iPad 2 although I'm sure that will change in the future with improves in the Android OS.

The Samsung Galaxy has 10.1" screen but it's widescreen. This is great for watch movies but not so great for reading PDFs and sheet music. The 4:3 format of the iPad sounds better for reading.

I love my iPhone but I really dislike iTunes and how Apple controls everything. I boycott buying any music from itunes, instead buying it from amazon or cdbaby which are usually cheaper anyhow. However, iTunes is something I put up with in order to have the iPhone which I really love.

So I'm leaning towards an iPad. This will be from Christmas so I have plenty of time to decide.

The question I have left for iPad is this: How easy is to it put PDFs files on the iPad? I have lots of books and scans of sheet music in PDF form that I'd like to read on the iPad. I don't want to download them to the iPad every time I want to read them. I know there is PDF software for the iPad and I don't mind paying for it. This will be my main use for the iPad, with internet browsing & email secondary.

I think Android tablets can be better than iPad in a year or two. But I think they're not there yet. The Hannspad mentioned earlier seems like a bargain. But one would have to be adapt to install the latest Android OS, etc. Most of us probably just want something that works when we turn it on.
cunparis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by cunparis »

I just found this video which shows how to sync PDF files on the ipad. He copied over a digital camera user manual and it looks quite good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUt8cUblRO4

So I'm heavily leaning towards the iPad. I'd like to hear from people using it for sheet music. I really hate printing out tons of music and the song books I've purchased won't stay open very easily, which is very difficult for piano pieces that are many pages long. With the ipad I could just click the screen once to go to the next page. Sure beats fooling with a book that won't stay open.
James_Alto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by James_Alto »

Hi Guys,

Well this is my first day on the Samsung Galaxy S2. Here's what I've been doing with it:

Skype...internet browsing...uploading music files...uploading PDF files from scans of my music books, finding my way around using the GPS (it seems to tell me I'm at home lol. Fair enough - I've barely moved from the kitchen into the living room :lol: ); finding out how to use the digital camera, and making some videos

:D

Now with a 7 inch screen, yes you can increase sections of the text by spreading finger and thumb apart on the touch screen. It is more for studying music, rather than playing as sheet music. However the great thing is, I can carry it around with my music stored in it, and just send the files across to a computer screen somewhere else to read via bluetooth once I learn how.

A friend of mine has a iPad 2: the Galaxy S2 is wayyy quicker for navigating. Not sure why -since it is only a 1.2Ghz ? Anyway, i'm really happy with it. Perhaps it didn't do what I wanted. I don't wish to carry a 10" screen around with me - I'd definitely rather have a Macbook Air, or at least a Macbook Pro, once it gets bigger than a book sized novel.

Cunparis - if you prefer traditional book/sheet music like I do, you just need to buy a few hardware clamps with rubber spongy ends, to clamp a book onto a music stand. I've never gotten into the Amazon Kindle thing, and I'm not so sure I'm going to like the iPad. I like the idea of an iPad, but I will still need a professional laptop at some point (remember my laptop is 7 years old). With a lifestyle unit like the Galaxy, being able to use skype (free) from an internet cafe, is just so fantastic when you're in a foreign country, trying to call home. This way, when I go travelling, I just slip the tiny little Galaxy S2 into my pocket. Btw: the Samsung 10.1" Galaxy has both widescreen and 4:3 capability. My 7" screen has as well. It has a 8Megapixel camera, which is very detailed too. The bit I like most, is that I can just dock it into a keyboard dock, and type really fast on a normal keyboard. I think you can do that on the iPad too.

I don't understand why people are worried about the .pdf issue. On a Mac, you can just save any .tiff (scanned) or .jpg document or .doc document as a .pdf, and then upload it onto a Kindle, Galaxy, or iPad. It is a shame I won't be able to read music from the Samsung, but given that the battery would dim the lights for energy saving, by the time I get through a slow air, it's probably best I just stick to paper :)
ahogrelius
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

cunparis wrote: The question I have left for iPad is this: How easy is to it put PDFs files on the iPad? I have lots of books and scans of sheet music in PDF form that I'd like to read on the iPad. I don't want to download them to the iPad every time I want to read them. I know there is PDF software for the iPad and I don't mind paying for it. This will be my main use for the iPad, with internet browsing & email secondary.
It is easy. There is an app for the iPad called "Stanza" that will do that for you. It is free and has its companion applications for both PC and Mac that will help you transfer PDF's to your iPad. -Best of all it is free!

Review
Link to AppStore

I am in no way affiliated with Apple or the author of Stanza
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Why use Stanza? Just use iBooks! When you open a PDF, one of the apps you can send it to is iBooks.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV