It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Forum rules


Please see forum announcement for description and rules!



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:04 pm
Posts: 1738
Location: Scotland
I like to work out and write down in standard notation any new whistles tunes I come across that I like and want to remember for later practice but it would be so much better to be able to do it in a formalised printed way. Does anyone have experience of simple transcription software that allows for including ornamentations too?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:27 pm
Posts: 499
I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but doesn't ABC format do this for you?
In bagpipe tunes, gracenotes are written thus : {eBfB} ... could this not serve for any other embellisment ... or have I missed something? (as I often do :oops:

_________________
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Posts: 18663
Location: San Diego, CA
Mikethebook wrote:
it would be so much better to be able to do it in a formalised printed way.

I'm curious why do you think that would be better? Not only because there's nothing wrong with pencil and staff paper, and not just to be nasty :-). But simply because your answer may clarify what you're really looking for a software package to do for you.

For example, do you simply want neater-looking results? Or is organizing and searching tune transcriptions a concern? Are your transcriptions for your eyes only, or to share with others?

Mikethebook wrote:
Does anyone have experience of simple transcription software that allows for including ornamentations too?

There's really nothing particularly special about ornamentation. Cuts are usually represented by grace notes, rolls by a turn glyph, triplets by ... triplets, etc. All just standard features of any basic notation software. ABC is "optimized" for trad because it was developed in that context. But any notation software can handle trad transcription, unless you're after a customized notation such as Grey Larsen's.

Mike, this recent thread contains a number of suggestions: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84378

_________________
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:04 pm
Posts: 1738
Location: Scotland
Thanks guys for your thoughts. I was really just looking for something neater and more permanent than my own scrawls which I can't save on the computer without a scanner, something I can ill afford right now. But I'd overlooked ABC maybe because I thought it would be hard to learn but perhaps it would be no more difficult than coming to grips with new music notation software and . . . as you say . . . it is optimized for traditional music. Many thanks.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:02 pm
Posts: 1479
Location: Wheeling, WV
I'm a "dots" guy myself and I use Finale Allegro for most of my music notation applications. The company has a scaled-down version (called NotePad) that is perfect for ITM, however. It has a free-for-30-days option and only costs $9.95 anyway. You can find it here.

Pat

_________________
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Posts: 18663
Location: San Diego, CA
Mikethebook wrote:
I was really just looking for something neater and more permanent than my own scrawls which I can't save on the computer without a scanner

Ah, good. Yes, don't overlook ABC. It's easy to learn, a lingua franca for trad tunes, and there's lots of good, free software and resources.

As plunk says, Allegro Notepad is a good intro to the graphical approach, and a gateway to the full package. Noteworthy Composer, Melody Assistant, and MuseScore were also mentioned.

I'd say try a few, and see which ones feel comfy for you. Each has a learning curve, but it shouldn't take long to get a sense of how they work.

_________________
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:09 am
Posts: 3
plunk111 wrote:
I'm a "dots" guy myself and I use Finale Allegro for most of my music notation applications. The company has a scaled-down version (called NotePad) that is perfect for ITM, however. It has a free-for-30-days option and only costs $9.95 anyway. You can find it here.

Pat



I used NotePad for a while, but eventually upgraded to SongWriter (the next version up), which I've now been using for years. It has much more flexibility than NotePad, and I have found no need to upgrade further to PrintMusic or formal Finale, which is a lot more money.

BTW, Pat. Your avatar made me do a double take. Even my wife thinks it looks exactly like me without my beard. :o


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:02 pm
Posts: 1479
Location: Wheeling, WV
nimbleswitch wrote:
BTW, Pat. Your avatar made me do a double take. Even my wife thinks it looks exactly like me without my beard. :o


I just KNEW I had a doppelgänger somewhere!

Actually, I've been using iWriteMusic on my iPad for a lot of stuff now and then exporting to (and playing from) ForScore (again on the iPad). I don't use this for ITM too much, but it works great for church music. Finale Allegro decided that the old versions wouldn't be usable any more, so I've stopped using it altogether - they wanted me to buy a whole new package! I've also been using MuseScore (www.musescore.org) a bit and it seems fairly nice.

Pat

_________________
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.087s | 13 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)