Warning and Geek Squad Request

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Warning and Geek Squad Request

Post by burnsbyrne »

Warning: I tried to open a video of O'Carolan's Draught that I found through Google yesterday and got a virus instead. My tech savvy son was able to remove the virus using MalwareBytes software. Now I have another issue. When I try to view a video on YouTube I get a blank box with the message "You need Adobe Flash Player to watch this video". I do have Flash Player but just in case I uninstalled it and re-downloaded it. Still no videos. I have Windows 7 and I'm using IE v8. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Warning and Geek Squad Request

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Check your browser settings to see if java/scripts are disabled.
My brain hurts

Flavius
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flavius »

burnsbyrne wrote:Warning and Geek Squad Request
You rang? :lol:

Even if you have the player installed, it could be that either your version is not up to date or isn't the right one for your browser: iExplore wants the "ActiveX" flavor of the installer, not the regular one. Normally, following the link provided by the "You need FlashPlayer" box will set things right, but to stay on the safe side you can manually specify which version you want to download.

If you already took care of that, as mentioned there're several settings to check; Adobe provides a detailed list and how-to (see especially #4. Verify Internet Explorer Settings).

Further issues after that could be due to missing/corrupted files on iExplore or Windows system folders, not an unlikely scenario after virus/malware cleaning. If it's something minor, visiting WindowsUpdate (there should be an option from one of the iExplore menus, Settings/Tools/Preferences/Help... one of them) may help. Beyond that, it depends on where you want to draw the line between "User" and "Technician" :)
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

My son was able to come over again today. He did a system restore back to the day before I caught the virus - I thought. It turns out that the malware was there at least one day before I discovered it. So he cleaned out the bad stuff again, completely uninstalled Flash Player and did some other stuff that I don't understand and voila, everything works! It's nice to have a computer tech in the family.
Best wishes
Mike