Fav Recording Software, and PC or Mac?

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
Emrys
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Fav Recording Software, and PC or Mac?

Post by Emrys »

I've been using Pro Tools (MBox) on a Mac, running OS 9.something for years... and it's, of course, now totally antiquated. Actually, I did a lot of recording on it, when it was state of the art, then took a five year breather to learn how to trade the markets. For that, I needed to go to PC. So, now I'm ready to get back into recording, and really in a quandray about what to do.

Do I push on with the old stuff (it still works fine)? Do I upgrade Pro Tools and buy a new Mac that runs OS 10.something? Do I move to getting the right software to run Pro Tools on a PC (because now I can barely run a Mac, have never learned OS 10, and am good on a PC)? Or, do I start all over again with new software--something less deep than Pro Tools--but still good enough to produce a professional sounding recording?

Suggestions?
http://www.LaurelEmrys.com
FUSIONIX: world peace jazz fusion band
"Local sounds from out there"
Feadoggie

Re: Fav Recording Software, and PC or Mac?

Post by Feadoggie »

A lot of the answer to your question probably depends on what you mean by "good enough to produce a professional sounding recording". I am reminded that the Beatles conquered the world with four-track recordings and little to no post-processing.

If your MBox/Pro Tools rig still works, and you are happy with the quality and functionality, I'd say stick with it and run it into the ground. You can get yourself into an endless "spend cycle" upgrading recording software and the computer platform it runs on.

I would look around at the latest software offerings for both Mac and PC and see if there is a new feature or function that I really need or want to exploit. If so I'd plan to go in the direction that software solution takes me. Otherwise, stand pat.

I personally don't see any real difference between the results attainable with either the Mac or PC. I am using Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 Producer myself with a ton of add-ons. I work with friends that have Pro Tools studios too. In the long run my PC based solutions have been more economical than the full-blown PT environments. But both environments can do more than most of us would ever have time or expertise to master.

If you want to explore recording on Windows and the PC you can always download Audacity and give it a try. It has good functionality (caveat: depending on what you may require) and a load of plug-ins are available. If your MBox is a USB based interface it should plug right in and away you go.

Just my thoughts.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Feadoggie wrote:If you want to explore recording on Windows and the PC you can always download Audacity and give it a try. It has good functionality (caveat: depending on what you may require) and a load of plug-ins are available. If your MBox is a USB based interface it should plug right in and away you go.

Just my thoughts.

Feadoggie
Just a note that Audacity is available on the Mac as well. I use it to post-process my files from my Zoom H4.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
technowhistle
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Post by technowhistle »

Audacity is great -open source too- but if you want multi-track recording I like http://reaper.fm

It's cheaper and with most of the functionality (handles audio/midi/vst/vsti/au/ASIO/automation/routing/customization well) of pro tools, it should suit your needs.

Its free demo is fully functional forever too! (bar a nag screen after 30 days)

If you decide to buy it please realise there is a new major release (version 4 - alpha61b is the latest version available in the forums) on the way fairly soon.

Just an idea.
I d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶have a beard.

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶!̶
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

technowhistle wrote:Audacity is great -open source too- but if you want multi-track recording I like http://reaper.fm
As a matter of fact, I just downloaded Audacity a few minutes ago. I haven't yet gotten around to playing with and getting to know it, so my question is this: Does Audacity not support multitrack recording, or is it that you find Reaper simply better?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

must be better
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Nanohedron wrote: Does Audacity not support multitrack recording
Here's how Audacity does it..
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Denny

Post by Denny »

what means you'll want this one in a bit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXbImBRO5_I
technowhistle
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Post by technowhistle »

The difference between multi track recording between Audacity and Reaper is that Audacity support 'one at a time' multi-track recording while in Reaper you can set different recording inputs to each track.

To record say; a whistle and guitar. Audacity is fine once you adjust for latency.

However to record a live band with several different microphones all recording at the same time, and perhaps midi input too, then Reaper is what you need.

Audacity works very fine as a wave editor and is useful for mastering and such things.

To summarise I'd say if you have an audio interface with connections for more than one mic and/or midi. Then go Reaper. However if you use a non-ASIO driven device such as a usb or desktop mic then go Audacity.

OT:

Denny look at the new arrivals to the technowhistle household...

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶!̶
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Thank you so much, everyone! Nice chx btw. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

@ technowhistle

that's the way my wife collects horses!!
no two alike :D

had a coyote in the front yard this morning. I'd just sat down with my breakfast when one of the girls went air born to the top of the round pen Image

I need to go back to lockin' 'em up at night.

Spring & dumb pups. I'd be willing to bet it doesn't make it through the next week.
technowhistle

Post by technowhistle »

Got our first egg today!

It's tiny!

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶!̶
Denny

Post by Denny »

:lol: ya, first ones are....

sometimes a chicken will need to learn not to lay them from a perch
on the up side a broken egg will not be there long enough to worry about cleaning up
theblindpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by theblindpiper »

For me it's pro tools 9 all the way on my apple macbook pro with voiceover screen reader.. I use 3 003 factory plus racks for recording work and they do me great for recording bands, etc. gives me the advantage of either full control from pro tools or as a tape only system with a mixer depending on the job. I'm relieved pro tools is blind friendly again after 15 years or so. going back to the days of Mac OS 9.2 with pro tools TDM on a beige G3 minitower. love those old days lol

These days, we're given so many options of recording packages. whether they are pro, consumer or open source. for pro users you have Pro Tools, Nuendo, Cubase, Digital Performer, etc and they all do their various jobs well. It's all a question of what you want out of a software and hardware setup.

gone are the days of big studios where you had to rely on a large format mixing rig, rack mount DAT or hard disk recorders, separate outboard equipment, etc.

I miss those days.

lew