Android apps for musicians

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Android apps for musicians

Post by fearfaoin »

So, my Android phone (HTC Incredible) ships today.
I can't wait. There have been a few threads on the
subject of Android apps already:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=75977
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76871
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=76901

I thought this forum was a good place to continue
the discussion/linkdump.

I had to do some gymnastics with Verizon to get
the Incredible subsidized, and one of the reasons
I wanted to rush it is because I desperately wanted
to try TunePal. That app looks hellasweet.

Also, after finding the BPM of a song we're playing
by trying to sync a metronome while playing, I think
one of the tap-for-tempo apps like Tube Tempo BPM.

Anyway, Android users, tell me what you've found!
fearfaoin

Re: Android apps for musicians

Post by fearfaoin »

Also, it seems like it would be a good career
move for me to learn Android development.
So are there any programs for musicians that
would be handy that noone's done on Android
yet?

I'm already considering trying an abc-enabled
music editor like fyffer was looking for.
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

For the moment, I've settled on gStrings for tuning, TapeMachine for recording, and Tunepal. I'm sure there could be a better tuning app, but gStrings seems to work okay. I haven't reviewed all the recordings made yet, but TapeMachine seemed to work very well for me the last week -- I used it repeatedly when my Zoom H4 wasn't available for one reason or another last week, and while the results aren't stunning, they are probably about as good as you can expect from the phone's built-in microphone. Tunepal is extremely cool, of course.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
skooter500
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by skooter500 »

I have major plans for Tunepal this year to make it the all singing and dancing app for trad musicians :-) BTW I love my Android phone and they are really nice platform to develop for. While I like the iPhone too, I found the SDK, language and tools have a big learning curve and I feel much more productive on Android given that its basically Netbeans/Eclipse, Java and C++. On the other hand support from Apple for developers is first rate, whereas Google's support is all from the community. I cant even get a straight answer as to when paid apps will be available on the Android marketplace in Ireland. Hence I have had to set up my own payment and registration system so that Irish Android users can get Tunepal (see http://tunepal.org/tunepal/android/). Another thing to consider: I dont think Android has the same "apps culture" that iPhone users have. I have sold over 1000 Tunepal's for iPhone and continue to sell around 50 a week, whereas Im lucky if I sell 10 a week on Android!

Bottom line: There is not much money in apps and even less in Android apps (for now)

On the other hand, you might become mildly famous and get your name in the paper :-)

And making a few extra bucks from your hobby is not bad at all

Bryan