Instrument tuners for whistle makers

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Instrument tuners for whistle makers

Post by hans »

Has anyone suggestions for a tuner useful for whistle making?
It should have an easily visible display, for use in a brightly lit workshop.
It should not be too expensive (ruling out strobe tuners).
My ideal tuner would be programmable for programming different tuning systems, it should not only do ET tuning. It should have pitch calibration, and be able to play any note in the choosen tuning system, so one could tune by ear against reference tones, which should sound reasonably loud and good.

How good is the Korg OT 120?
It has some inbuilt alternative tunings, but it is not programmable.

Or the KORG LCA 120 ?
It shows volume level as well as pitch, which might be handy.
Last edited by hans on Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
Steve Bliven

Re: Instrument tuner for whistle makers

Post by Steve Bliven »

Don't know whether this would work for your purposes, but Flutini is a pretty neat application. It provides tuning over the entire range of notes played, during playing. In that way it avoids the "blowing it into tune by watching the needle" syndrome. It's downloadable at http://www.novasession.org/Flutini/

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: Instrument tuner for whistle makers

Post by hans »

Flutini is quite cool. But I am looking specifically for something which can live in the workshop, and I don't want to run a computer there.
Otherwise Syaku8 is also quite a good software tuner.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Instrument tuners for whistle makers

Post by plunk111 »

If you have an iPhone, Cleartune is a great app (and only costs $3.99US).
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Reyburnwhistles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

Hans,
I use the Korg Master Tune multi-temperament tuner and I'm quite happy with it. It offers 8 different pre programmed temperaments plus a selection to program your own. Not sure what I paid for it but I'm guessing about $200... a bit pricey but well worth it.

Ronaldo
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I'd guess the OT-120 is more what you're looking for, Hans. I like Korg products, and I prefer a physical needle to an LCD only. If preset ET and Pythagorean aren't enough, you can always keep a table of cents offsets handy.

For the iPhone/iTouch, the Peterson iStroboSoft is only $9.99 US. The Peterson StroboFlip runs around $199.

For my own fussy tuning, I have an original Conn ST-11 strobe. I like the big, pre-digital, industrial box, and I enjoy twisting the knobs. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

Korg GA-30 had it for years and the battery last about a year or more too, works great 10 bucks

http://cgi.ebay.com/Korg-GA-30-Guitar-B ... 2eae3ad4aa
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
hans

Post by hans »

Thanks guys! Yes, a real needle may be nice, but the OT120 meter looks quite small, like 10 cents on the scale is about 3mm (1/8")? And the temperament tunings included seem to be useless for my purpose, even the Pythagorean tuning because of its sharp thirds. Does the display show the frequency in Hertz of a note played, or is the number I see on the pics just for setting the base calibration?

It looks like Korg dropped the Master Tune MT 1200 in favour of the OT 120, but they left out the programmable temperament feature.

I am tempted by the Korg LCA 120 because of the larger display, and the "focus mode", which stretches the scale to 10 cents, and the volume indicator, which should really help prevent the temptation to blow a whistle note into tune. But I don't know how flickery the LCD "needle" is. One can also program one custom scale, but that would be less useful when tuning whistles of different keys, as this programmed scale cannot be transposed.

@cavefish: I got a Korg CA-30, similar to Korg GA-30. The LCD screen is too small, not backlit, and very difficult to read. Not much use on the workbench for me. I need a much better display.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

hans wrote:Thanks guys! Yes, a real needle may be nice, but the OT120 meter looks quite small, like 10 cents on the scale is about 3mm (1/8")? And the temperament tunings included seem to be useless for my purpose, even the Pythagorean tuning because of its sharp thirds. Does the display show the frequency in Hertz of a note played, or is the number I see on the pics just for setting the base calibration?

It looks like Korg dropped the Master Tune MT 1200 in favour of the OT 120, but they left out the programmable temperament feature.

I am tempted by the Korg LCA 120 because of the larger display, and the "focus mode", which stretches the scale to 10 cents, and the volume indicator, which should really help prevent the temptation to blow a whistle note into tune. But I don't know how flickery the LCD "needle" is. One can also program one custom scale, but that would be less useful when tuning whistles of different keys, as this programmed scale cannot be transposed.

@cavefish: I got a Korg CA-30, similar to Korg GA-30. The LCD screen is too small, not backlit, and very difficult to read. Not much use on the workbench for me. I need a much better display.
Actually i did not know you where an advanced maker, i was just adding comments, i just make simple instruments a little money here and there, nothing high scale , and your right if i were making things on your scale this would be a pain in the butt, a back light and a "sit up" model would be better-------but thanks for being kind
hans

Post by hans »

If you mean by "scale" production volume, this is very small indeed,
and my workshop is just six square metres :) .
If I had the money I probably would buy a strobe tuner.
I just want a tuner which can sit next to my drill, so I can check tuning while enlarging holes etc.

Ideally I'd love to have a blowing device, in which I can regulate the airstream, to have a more objective way to tune.

But in the end all tuning falls down to playing and listening by ear.
I mean the final test is to just play, and tweak as necessary.
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

well your machining whistles, that a good thing my next step it to get a lathe myself
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Hans, this is an interesting topic. Not just the particular tuner used but the process of tuning. Thanks, for bringing it up. I have been using an older Korg chromatic tuner, long out of production, in the shop for years. It does a good job, IMO. But I do find that my shop and the environment surrounding it is a bit noisy with shop machinery, heating/ac, local traffic (occasionally) and bird song in warm weather when the shop doors are open. So the Korg is used for the shop tuning and I go inside to a quiet room where I do my recording and use a decent side address condenser mic and a software tuner as verification of the shop tuning. Adjustments are made when necessary. I then can also record the whsitle alone or with a pre-recorded track to see how it sits with other instruments.
hans wrote:Ideally I'd love to have a blowing device, in which I can regulate the airstream, to have a more objective way to tune.
I've thought of that and shelveded that idea because a player doesn't maintain the same pressure over the scale of the instrument. Just my current thinking anyway.

feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
hans

Post by hans »

Feadoggie wrote:
hans wrote:Ideally I'd love to have a blowing device, in which I can regulate the airstream, to have a more objective way to tune.
I've thought of that and shelveded that idea because a player doesn't maintain the same pressure over the scale of the instrument. Just my current thinking anyway.
Yes, but increasing the airflow linearly over two octaves might work?
And such a device could give me a much better idea of what pressure/flow is required. Right now I asses pressure by checking the time I can play a reel, starting with full lungs, till I run out of breath.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

hans wrote:Yes, but increasing the airflow linearly over two octaves might work? And such a device could give me a much better idea of what pressure/flow is required.
That's worth experimenting with. I stopped experimenting after one try of connecting a whistle to a small compressor.

At the moment I am of the belief that the skill and experience of the whistle-maker as a whistle-player is a major contributor to the tuning process relative to breath pressure. I do like the idea of Flutini.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
hans

Post by hans »

Feadoggie wrote:At the moment I am of the belief that the skill and experience of the whistle-maker as a whistle-player is a major contributor to the tuning process relative to breath pressure. I do like the idea of Flutini.
Sure, but I notice how easy it is for me to compensate tuning issues, quite unconsciously, just by adjusting the air flow, a little more or less push. These unconscious adjustments can get in the way to get an objective judgement about the tuning of a particular note.