Anyone else using a Moleskine music notebook?

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
swduncan
antispam: No

Anyone else using a Moleskine music notebook?

Post by swduncan »

As a confirmed Moleskine addict I bought one a long time ago to write down the guitar tunes I was learning. Alas writing chords was a pain, and since I do 99% of any playing in my living room it was easier to just print stuff out and put it in a binder.

Or use the very awesome tab.toolkit app for the iPhone.

But the whistle is simpler, and a good chunk of my practice is at stoplights so I'm giving the Moleskine another chance. I think my notes are getting neater, even.

Anyone else?
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Anyone else using a Moleskine music notebook?

Post by brewerpaul »

I don't mean to be snarky, but what is there about a notebook that makes it an addiction?
I do have a little Moleskine pocket notebook of blank pages. It's very nicely made, but I'm far from addicted..
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
swduncan

Post by swduncan »

It's a fair question, and one that doesn't get answered very well very often ;-) I think it's more of a general paper and pen sort of addiction, but there are a lot of folks who have a particular softness for Moleskine in particular. It's not very rational.

For some perhaps is the story that goes with them - how all these great artists and writers have used them - I'm referring to the marketing pamphlet that comes with them. For others it's just the style of construction, the size, and the sense of opportunity and optimism that comes with a new notebook. I look at my old notebooks from time to time, and whether it's journal entries, travel notes, or other miscellaneous notes it's a window into my life that I enjoy looking through from time to time.

The reason I asked the question is that I see the music notebook in book stores but not music stores, and I've never seen anyone else use one or hardly even seen them mentioned on forums.
markinthailand

Post by markinthailand »

I just got one. I've used the same size lined to write down tune names, and it is small and rugged. I got the music notation one so I can write down the first line of a tune , or more if needed. Most of the music I use is printed out and in binders or photo copied from books too, and that is great for a gig, but that size moleskin fits in my bodhran or dulcimer case as well, so it goes more places.
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I love Moleskine music notebooks. I use them a lot. I tend to notate new tunes I hear at sessions 'n' stuff. Put down a comment or two about who played it etc. Great.
Adrian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Adrian »

I have used Moleskine music notebooks for some years now. They are perfect for travelling, which I do a lot of. They are small but I usually only need to be reminded of the first few notes of a tune so I don't have to do a lot of squinting.
swduncan

Post by swduncan »

Adrian wrote:I have used Moleskine music notebooks for some years now. They are perfect for travelling, which I do a lot of. They are small but I usually only need to be reminded of the first few notes of a tune so I don't have to do a lot of squinting.
When I first started putting tunes in mine I thought it would be too small to read, but I'm finding I have no trouble at all. The only problem I have with it, other than being neat enough, is remembering not to let a tune cross pages.
oakuss

Post by oakuss »

I have one, a pocketsized one with score paper in it. I use it more for composing and jotting ideas for jazz improv than for irtrad. I gotta find a new one soon, I only have about 7 pages left in it.
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

swduncan wrote:It's a fair question, and one that doesn't get answered very well very often ;-) I think it's more of a general paper and pen sort of addiction
I can inderstand that. I call it my paper fettish. My huband says it's because I was studious (he uses a different word :D ) when I grew up. Moleskins just have a really nice feel, and the color of the pages is more soothing than bright white paper is.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde