Updates to 3QuarterSet and 4QuarterSet

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Updates to 3QuarterSet and 4QuarterSet

Post by eskin »

The 1.3 update to 3QuarterSet, which has the unified sample set, single play and auto-chord play modes, and better touch handling than 1.2 in chord mode is now available on the iTunes app store as a free update to current owners of the app.

http://www.tradlessons.com/3QuarterSet.html

4QuarterSet 1.1, which adds auto-chord mode along with multi-touch single play mode is also now available as a free update. Similar to 3QuarterSet, when in auto-chord mode, touching on the left side of the regulators plays the tenor+baritone chord, touch on the right plays the baritone+bass. You can instantly switch between single note play with multitouch support and chord play modes. The touch zone sizes in auto-chord play mode do make it possible to play it with the side of the hand.

http://www.tradlessons.com/4QuarterSet.html

Filling out the family will be "JustDrones", currently in review with Apple, will be $0.99 when released:

http://www.tradlessons.com/JustDrones.html

I think it's too cute for words... :-)

Cheers and Happy New Year,

Michael
illwinds

Re: Updates to 3QuarterSet and 4QuarterSet

Post by illwinds »

I just got an iphone, and guess what my very first app download was?
Great stuff Michael :thumbsup: Hours of fun for the whole family! Well O.K., maybe just me. I'm wondering, is the 4 quarter set an upgrade to the 3 quarter set, or are they two separate beasts?
All the best.
Podge
antispam: No

Post by Podge »

I was wondering the same. I wouldn't have purchased the 3quarterset if I had known the full set was coming.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Podge, there is no evil plot here... :-)

I started out with the simple goal of writing one useful iPhone app and going through the exercise of dealing with the whole Apple app approval process. 3QuarterSet was that app. I had a 3/4 set, so it made sense. I was looking at my iPhone one day and thought, I wonder if this is possible...

The 1.0 version was very simple, drones plus 6 sounds for the reg pairs (two sounds for the top set) in each of the 5 keys. Figure out how to do graphics, figure out how to make sounds, how to save settings. Go through the submission process and see what happens. Put out a free version in one key to spark interest. See what happens...

Then I wrote Concertina, again because I had a thought that it might be possible with the accelerometer on the iPhone/iPod Touch, and that forced me to understand how to manage multiple sounds, accelerometer features, and most importantly, multitouch.

At that point, I realized I had understood what was required to write a new app that provided multitouch enabled individual control of sounds, and that made 4QuarterSet possible. I never intended to write it, thought I was done with 3QuarterSet, but the two complaints I heard from people about 3QuarterSet was:

1) Its a 3/4 set
2) Why can't I play the keys individually.

So I figured out how to develop all the features for 4QuarterSet and updated 3QuarterSet to add the individual key mode. Spent a good portion of my Christmas holiday doing so. I also updated the free version with the full feature set of the paid version.

Yes, I could have updated 3QuarterSet and made it 4QuarterSet. And no, that's not what I chose to do. I am doing this both to make a difference in the world and, yes, to hopefully make some money in the process by releasing apps that are of very high quality and very inexpensively priced (where else can you buy an Anglo Concertina for a dollar?). I'm trying to have a fair mix of higher and lower priced apps, depending on functionality, partially to see how it goes and understand more about the whole iPhone app market.

These apps have come to life as I've developed the skills and understanding of the platform and realized what was possible.

If I write an app you find useful, buy it and enjoy it. If I find new features that make sense to enhance existing apps (like adding the single reg play from 4QuarterSet to 3QuarterSet) you'll get free upgrades. I'm charging what I think is a fair, well, actually, dirt cheap price for all these apps considering their quality and level of functionality. I think $4.99 for 4QuarterSet even if you already have 3QuarterSet is still a good deal. Really, they are tailored for different purposes.

3QuarterSet specifically, with the blank strip down the center of the screen, is designed to be mounted on the leg with a belt through that blank strip. 4QuarterSet has the same features, but for live play, me or someone else is going to have to figure out how to mount an iPhone/iPod Touch on the leg without obscuring the screen to get to all the regs. I originally was not going to support a chord mode in 4QuarterSet, but it was just too complicated explaining why the two apps would have different operating modes, so I made them match, the only difference is in two vs. three regulators.

I can't promise I won't come out with something else that might share functionality with the current apps. For example, I woke up on Sunday morning thinking a cheap app with just drones and a big shiny colorful drone puck might be fun, so I quickly banged out "JustDrones", which has all the drones from 3QuarterSet and 4QuarterSet, plus additional drones in E, F, G, and A. It will be $0.99. The whistle players will enjoy it.

Podge, I've sent you via PM a free code for 4QuarterSet 1.1. You can enter it on the iTunes App Store just like a iTunes gift card and the app will be downloaded to your system.

FYI, if you have any inclination to develop iPhone apps, I highly encourage you to give it a try. Apple provides all the development tools for free, you develop your apps on any Intel based Mac, then can test them on the iPhone simulator. If you want to sell apps or install them on devices, you have to pay Apple $99/year for that. The XCode development environment is an absolute joy to use. I can also recommend some good instructional books to use to learn Objective-C and iPhone development.

So far, I've almost made enough selling the apps to pay for the used MacBook I bought from a co-worker to develop them, that's a nice start. I don't think I'm going to be able to retire on selling pretend obscure traditional Irish musical instruments, but its a lot of fun releasing them into the wild... :-)

OK, enough ranting...

Michael
Podge

Post by Podge »

Podge, there is no evil plot here.
Sorry Michael, I wasn't trying to suggest that there was. All I was trying to say was that I would have purchased 4QuarterSet rather than the 3QuarterSet. Its a great idea and I wish you all the best with it.

Any chance you could squeeze in a chanter ? :D
ChaplainBlake
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Irish music has been a developing passion of mine. In the next few years, I hope to have all four of my kids going on whistles!

Post by ChaplainBlake »

I have 3Quarter set, and will be picking up both 4Quarter and "Just Drones". I used 3Quarter in a Christmas Eve service, and had lots of positive comments on it...using drones with "O Come, O Come Emmanuel," offset with chanted antiphons was really cool. Ancient sound.

On a tangentially related point: I like supporting innovation in music, and these apps definitely qualify. The best way to support is by patronage.

Great work again Michael!

All the best,
Blake

PS--There are some "sport" band type cases/straps for the Iphone/Ipod that might provide some useful prototype fodder for your "mode of securing" issue. Might be a good place to start anyway.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Blake,

Thanks for letting me know about how you are using the app, it's great to hear how its being used in the world!

I'll definitely have to check out the iPhone/iPod Touch sport bands and such, was thinking that maybe an aviation chart kneeboard might make a good solution.

Cheers and thanks,

Michael
eskin

Post by eskin »

Podge wrote:
Podge, there is no evil plot here.
Sorry Michael, I wasn't trying to suggest that there was. All I was trying to say was that I would have purchased 4QuarterSet rather than the 3QuarterSet. Its a great idea and I wish you all the best with it.

Any chance you could squeeze in a chanter ? :D
I think I'll leave the chanter to the vPipes wizards... There just isn't enough sensory input on the iPhone or the number of simultaneous touches possible (5) to do a chanter, at least that's my current thinking.
eskin

Post by eskin »

This morning (1-16-2010) I added the ability to play live along with music from your iTunes library to both 3QuarterSet and 4QuarterSet (and also the Concertina, Englitina, and JustDrones apps) and submitted the changes to Apple.

Free updates should be pushed out by Apple early next week.

This really is a lot of fun, you can play drones and regs along with any music on your device. Great practice and opportunity for creative exploration.
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Last weekend I saw Michael demonstrate this, playing his actual uilleann chanter, with his iphone on his leg, playing drones and reg chords. Quite amazing.

Now somebody needs to come up with a iphone holder/rack that's tied into the bag and lies across your leg so that the phone is held at the proper angle and doesn't wobble around.

Hmmm... $300 for an iphone, $10,000 for a full set...

Many years ago I wondered if somebody couldn't use accordion/concertina technology rather than bagpipe technology to make a very compact drones/regs bundle that would stay in tune: several drone notes to choose from, several banks of regs, all in a compact thing lying in your lap.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
upiperbob

Post by upiperbob »

I bought both of them because I want Michael to change the World. Thank you for all of your website productions. Everybody should invest in what Michael is doing. Also I have only a half set.

Thanks Michael :oops: