It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

Please see forum announcement for description and rules!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:32 am 

Hello
I thought I would let other would - be Warbl whistlers know what was involved, and what it cost me to buy a new Warbl midi whistle, shipped to the north east of England. This is for information only, and no criticisms are intended or implied. I have imported from and exported things to the US before, so I had a fair idea of what to expect.
I ordered my Warbl on 11th January via the maker's website and paid using PayPal. Including USPS shipping it cost £221.48. I understood that there could be up to a two week lead time to despatch.
I was able to track progress of the parcel throughout it's long journey from Oregon.
It was picked up by the carrier on 13th January and arrived at Heathrow airport on 18th January. From there it went through Customs Clearance and then up to a delivery depot on 24th January. I received a letter from Parcel force UK on Saturday 26th January with an invoice for £63.80 for customs duty, import vat and clearance fee. I paid this online and the parcel arrived on Tuesday 29th January. The parcel and its contents were in excellent condition.
So - a long winded way of saying it took 18 days and cost me £285 to get my hands on the Warbl. I hope this helps someone else out there.
Regards
Tiposx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:05 pm 

Tiposx wrote:
Hello
I thought I would let other would - be Warbl whistlers know what was involved, and what it cost me to buy a new Warbl midi whistle, shipped to the north east of England. This is for information only, and no criticisms are intended or implied. I have imported from and exported things to the US before, so I had a fair idea of what to expect.
I ordered my Warbl on 11th January via the maker's website and paid using PayPal. Including USPS shipping it cost £221.48. I understood that there could be up to a two week lead time to despatch.
I was able to track progress of the parcel throughout it's long journey from Oregon.
It was picked up by the carrier on 13th January and arrived at Heathrow airport on 18th January. From there it went through Customs Clearance and then up to a delivery depot on 24th January. I received a letter from Parcel force UK on Saturday 26th January with an invoice for £63.80 for customs duty, import vat and clearance fee. I paid this online and the parcel arrived on Tuesday 29th January. The parcel and its contents were in excellent condition.
So - a long winded way of saying it took 18 days and cost me £285 to get my hands on the Warbl. I hope this helps someone else out there.
Regards
Tiposx

It's a great tool, I think you will enjoy it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:28 am 

That sounds really excellent. What Irish flute MIDI software is there for this instrument? Any recommendations? Pardon my ignorance, I am a complete novice to EWI's.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:15 am 

Andro wrote:
That sounds really excellent. What Irish flute MIDI software is there for this instrument? Any recommendations? Pardon my ignorance, I am a complete novice to EWI's.

The "Celtic Sounds" software for IOS is really good. It was made by Michael Eskin, a guy who plays whistle in an Irish music context and really understands what the whistle should do. He posts here fairly often. I tend not to use WARBL with the phone, because you can't use headphones while the WARBL is using the lightning port. But it's the best I've tried in terms of behaving like a whistle.

Since I'm in the Apple universe I use the whistle built into Logic, which is only fair in terms of whistle like-playability. I have Native instruments Kontakt, which has a slightly better whistle as part of its default library. To be honest I often use some of the flute samples, like the bansuri sample in Logic. A lot of what i do with Warbl is learn tunes while the family sleeps.

There are several more expensive whistle sample packages, with demos that sound great, but they are usually playing new-agey kind of stuff rather than the more traditonal ITM. I've come close to buying the Efimov library a couple times

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:55 am 

I use a 2019 Ipad 10.2 with Celtic Sounds app. This works very well.
My Android devices are too dated to work with the app.