Earplugs for Concerts Needed Badly

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
AmyJ23
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a musician and I've been wanting to add the flute for sound layering and textures in my music. I've tried using midi keyboard programs to get the sound but they just sound fake. So I want to learn from people who specialize in wind pipes, etc. on how they record and what other things I should use.

Thanks!

Earplugs for Concerts Needed Badly

Post by AmyJ23 »

I'm thinking of buying custom earplugs like this because I have hyperacusis and I still love going to events and concerts. I just peeked at their website and they are pretty expensive. I just don't want to wear foamies because they always irritate my ears. Any recommendation from you guys?

Thanks in advance!
michaelpthompson
Tell us something.: I have played whistles and flutes for many years, but I am looking to get more serious with it. I mostly play Irish traditional music, but I want to expand into native american as well.

Re: Earplugs for Concerts Needed Badly

Post by michaelpthompson »

When I worked nights, I used the foam ones a lot for sleeping in the daytime. Then I discovered wax ones, obtainable at the pharmacy. Don't know how well musical frequencies will be perceived, but they cut down a lot on the noise. Something like this.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

If you are looking for something cheaper than custom earplugs, take a look at Etymotic ER20xs plugs. A very flat response - no particular frequencies are filtered more unlike common foam earplugs. The older ER20 version is still around and cheaper, but that version seems to block the higher frequencies a bit more. Of course, that could be an advantage in some cases. I find them comfortable for a few hours at a time.

Other companies such as Alpine seem to have similar designs, but I don't have any personal experience with them.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I've recently taken to wearing silicone earplugs with filter installed in the center. They go for various goofy names such as Eargasms or Hereos on Amazon, but they have helped me in loud settings. They are much better than the foam ones as they still let you have a conversation, but cut out certain frequencies. I am sure custom made pro jobs would be better, but at somewhere around $30 I have found these useful.
maestrosid

Post by maestrosid »

I've been using silicone plugs from EarPeace for a couple of years and been happy. They have three levels of filters you can insert to increase sound blockage. They are $25-30 a pair at Amazon and come in an aluminum keychain cannister with one spare plug.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

I've been using Etymotic or something similar off of Amazon for at least once a week for years. Since using them I haven't had the post-music ringing, so they must be working well enough. There are a ton of shapes and sizes, and it might take trying a few to find one that works for you.
Life is good.
SweetJams
Tell us something.: Just an intermediate flute player. Not a pro but not a noob. I'm a musician who plays multiple instruments. A case of "Jack of all trades, master of none", I suppose.

Post by SweetJams »

Just looked at Big Ear, the brand you linked and their products are pretty good. I also saw that Michigan State University's marching band use their earplugs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inYEkdIY9VY
Will give them a call later to ask how to order.
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

I've used the Radians self molded plugs for blacksmithing. They don't cost much, work great and are custom molded to your ears. https://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEP001-C ... B003A28P4I

Pro tips: You can mold them with inserted cords so a set stays together. Also if you have a set of in-ear audio plugs that take the conventional inserts that never fit well, you can remove the existing inserts and replace them with this material. Just mold around the earplug body, then remove and drill a small hole to connect.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I got the "Alpine pro" musician's earplugs. They have different inserts for more or less dB. Also rather comfy to wear.
Mudchutney
Tell us something.: I'm an accordion player, I love playing Irish music. I also run a shop called Mudchutney selling folk music themed clothing, go take a look, I think it's brilliant! I'm registering because I love all things folky and music related so want to share the love, and read more and more about this kind of stuff. Is that enough? Feels weird writing like this...kind of like trying to be a real person, which obviously I am, but you don't know that.

Post by Mudchutney »

I use these guys

https://www.acscustom.com/uk/products/h ... protection

I have no affiliation with them whatsoever, but have several pairs of theirs, and they're bloody brilliant!
Instruments: Saltarelle Bourroche CBA (C system)
Music: mainly Irish, but also some Scottish / English / French
philippebarnesflute
Tell us something.: Hi :-) looking to find a new flute to replace my Olwell stolen last week...I play flute/whistles/guitar and stuff...

Post by philippebarnesflute »

I got custom earplugs made and didn’t get on with them, I just use the Quies mouldable wax ones you can get at the pharmacy if I’m ever somewhere loud. I have some Flare audio ones I quite like that aren’t too expensive.
Quizzity
Tell us something.: I'm interested in whistles specially Tilbury Woodwinds Aluminum Whistles, these whistles are easy to play and are well balanced between octaves. Tuning is (of course) perfect and the instrument can be tuned a minimum of 20 cents sharp as well as flat. It plays with plenty of back pressure and it plays big enough for noisy venues, or for playing outside. This instrument is moderately loud, easy to play, and it is very responsive. It will comfortably handle any tap or roll that you throw at it.

Post by Quizzity »

I also recommend the Etymotic ER20xs, it is worth the investment. It is what I currently use.
I considered Toto Legato toilet https://bestflushingtoilet.org/toto-toi ... fficiency/ as one of the most worthy toilets I have bought. Why? Reasons are its elongated bowl, Powerful flush, water-saving, etc features make this Flushing toilet worth buying.
maestrosid

Post by maestrosid »

I’m another happy EarPeace user. My youngest is an Aspergers kid and I got a set for him as he’s easily overstimulated. I and about four other family members wound up getting them. They are also great for reducing the background noise on airplanes, and are quite comfortable. I like the adjustable filtering level.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

I wore these at a concert the other day and they're much better than any other earplug I've tried:

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/heari ... d-fit.html
joneill
Tell us something.: I'm a classical flutist looking to add in some Irish skills. I'm deciding between a Dixon 2-part or 3-part low D whistle. Since the three-part is twice as much, I'd like some feedback on pros and cons.

Post by joneill »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

I use musician earplugs--they cut down the decebel levels without interfering with overall sound. I hear (pun???) they are great for concerts. I use mine for practicing the upper flute register, or when sitting next to the piccolo in orchestra. I bought the same brand my piccolo-playing flute teacher recommended: https://eargasm.com/