Recording apps for iPhone/iPad/iPod

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Recording apps for iPhone/iPad/iPod

Post by Steve Bliven »

What iPhone/iPad/iPod app are folks currently using to record music at sessions, instructor examples, that sort of informal, not for commercial use? Do you find the Voice Memos app built into the iPhone/iPod sufficient or is there something that might be better?

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
AaronFW
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Re: Recording apps for iPhone/iPad/iPod

Post by AaronFW »

Steve Bliven wrote:What iPhone/iPad/iPod app are folks currently using to record music at sessions, instructor examples, that sort of informal, not for commercial use? Do you find the Voice Memos app built into the iPhone/iPod sufficient or is there something that might be better?
I currently use the Voice Memos app on my iPhone 6 to record sets from our weekly session. (I use the recordings to play along with at home.) With Voice Memos, it does not work well to listen to the recording using the phone itself (this is because the recording is played back through the same speakers used for phone-calls rather than the speakers used for music), therefore I typically transfer the Voice memo to my MacBook Pro which allows me to listen at a decent volume or slow down the track using Audacity.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I never really got along well with using my smartphone as a recording device for anything other than short memos.

I use a Sony ICD recorder (Which I got for like $30 or $40) which can hold 8 or 9 hours of recordings on the scrap mini-sd card I found lying around, and it works really well. It exports via usb, and there's a "track" button that I hit between sets at session, and when I export, it lets me split the recordings at the track mark.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

Apple released a Music Memos app one or two years ago that offers a few more features than Voice Memos. It's still a free app, so you might want to experiment with it.

The included tuner might be worth the download by itself.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by plunk111 »

I've used iTalk for a long time. Has three "quality" levels (good, better, and best) and does a real good job at all levels. I usually use "better" and it is more than good for most stuff. Only drawback is the file size - it's kinda big!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
andy_skiff
Tell us something.: Start to play whistles since 2007 and became a whistle/flute maker since 2009, I'm in China with a group Irish music fans.

Post by andy_skiff »

I would recommend Presonus Capture One for iPad.
https://www.presonus.com/products/Capture-for-iPad

It's a professional two-track recorder with metronome.
with a Presonus USB audio interface it could be better, but it supports internal mic of iPad as well.
andy_skiff
Tell us something.: Start to play whistles since 2007 and became a whistle/flute maker since 2009, I'm in China with a group Irish music fans.

Post by andy_skiff »

The "Capture Duo" is a two-track recorder which is for free.
while the "Capture" is $9.99 with 32 tracks
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Thanks all. I appreciate the input. Since I'm not going for studio quality or multi-tracks—just want to get the basic outlines of tunes to learn—I'll probably go with one of the simpler methods for my immediate needs.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
musicmarie
Tell us something.: Music Marie here! I'm a singer, guitarist, and blogger obsessed with the music world and networking online.

Post by musicmarie »

The Garageband app on my phone works really well; I prefer it to using the voice recorder for the extra plugins.
-
Music Marie
Music Marketing
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

musicmarie wrote:The Garageband app on my phone works really well; I prefer it to using the voice recorder for the extra plugins.
Which plugins do you use? Or... can you give a bit more detail regarding how you use it? I am not very familiar with Garageband, but I would be happy to learn if there are particular features that others find useful.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

I typically use the voice memo app because it's easy and the quality is pretty good.

For more options, the Voice Recorder Pro app is great. You can specify some file format options, and you can export (cloud & wifi) and/or email the recordings.

For a bit of money, you can buy a Shure MV88 microphone, which has it's own app. The cool thing is it's a multipattern stereo microphone, so you can get directionality out of it. So like if you set it on the table between you and someone else, then you can record them in one channel and you in the other, which makes it easier to hear just yourself, or just them, later. Or at a workshop you could dial in a tight angle and point it at the presenter to reject all the people near you. It can also make mid-side recordings, which can be really great when you're recording videos. In the US it's about $150 now. For the same money you could buy a handheld recorder, but the recordings wouldn't be as good as the MV88.

Shure has a short demonstration video if anyone is interested:
http://www.shure.com/americas/products/ ... microphone