Recording whistles with Audacity and a USB mic

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
AngelicBeaver
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Recording whistles with Audacity and a USB mic

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I've got a USB (CAD U37) microphone and Audacity. I've been playing around with voice recordings, but whenever I've tried to record the whistle, it clips badly in the second octave, unless I've moved far away, and then the low end is way too soft.

Are there any easy fixes for this? Right now, I've got the microphone in a relatively small, padded closet space for an audio narration project I've got going on. I can get about 24" away from the microphone. I've heard about compressors, and I know someone made a plugin for Audacity, but I don't know if this is only for audio that hasn't already clipped or if it's something that actively manages it. It may be that I need a hardware solution, but I see people on YouTube recording all the time, without bad clipping like I'm seeing. Even my phone seems to do a better job.

Incidentally, I thought this might come in handy for reading passages where there's loud talking or yelling, which of course would be interspersed with far quieter narration.
Nathaniel James Dowell
Wanderer

Re: Recording whistles with Audacity and a USB mic

Post by Wanderer »

Audacity compressor settings will try to bring the high end down so there is no clipping.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/compressor.html

I used this same feature when I was recording clips for my website years ago. These days I use OBS, but still have to rely on the compressor to keep the 2nd octave manageable
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
devilock76
Tell us something.: Experienced musician but new to the tin whistle. Not sure what else to say about myself but since one hundred characters are required this should do it.

Re: Recording whistles with Audacity and a USB mic

Post by devilock76 »

The question is are you clipping at the ad converter on your sound interface. If that is the case you need to tone the signal down before it gets to that, which is either lowering the gain or an outboard stand alone compressor. In the case of a usb mic there is not real way to get a stand-alone in there as the ad converter is literally inside the mic.