App for practicing playing by ear

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
hinzaldi
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

App for practicing playing by ear

Post by hinzaldi »

I just finished the development of a new Android app: Victor Baumwolle's Play By Ear Trainer. It is meant for instrumentalists who want do develop their ability to play by ear. The lite version of the app is free, and offers solfege exercises that are to be performed on any instrument. The app listens, ands gives points if the played note was correct. I am a flute/saxophone player myself and tested it on alto saxophone, tenor saxophone and flute. It was tested on violin and piano as well. I would appreciate it if flute players want to try the app, and offer comments, preferably here in this tread. The app can be downloaded from the Google Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rainerLite

Please give it a try, and tell me what you like or suggest for improvement.

Regards,
Hinzaldi
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: App for practicing playing by ear

Post by s1m0n »

Can you summarise the features of the free version, and compare them with those of the full version?

I have an Android phone, but this would be the first app I was even slightly interested in. Meaning, I suppose, that I'd have to want to signup for whatever Google apps has to sell before I could evaluate what your program does. I'm intrigued, but not that intrigued. Can I DL your program without going through Google?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

I downloaded it but I have to wait to try it out. Does it work on a D flute? Only C, Bb, Eb and F instruments to choose from in settings.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Ketil wrote:Does it work on a D flute? Only C, Bb, Eb and F instruments to choose from in settings.
D flute should be a C (ie non-transposing) instrument. Which could still be interesting when it starts 'with playing one note diatonic exercises in C scale'...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?