Best method for Recording whistle at home

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
musicmadsimon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Best method for Recording whistle at home

Post by musicmadsimon »

Hi, I've searched this forum several times but never quite found the article I'd like - but excuse if I've missed it! Be glad of any pointers. Been playing for years but prob a middling ability. I don't get a bad sound but I'd like to get a more natural breathy open sound (Davy Spillane) but without so much wind hiss and possibly reduce finger taps though they're not such an issue. I've tried various setups to record low and high whistle into Cubase 11 via Steinberg UR824 interface. My main mics are Rode N2, N3 (large Diap) and N5 (small diap). I've been tonguing more to cut the air noise between notes which helps. I mostly use the N2 about 6" from and more or less above the soundhole. Recently I've used the M5 small diaphragm which isn't as sensitive so has less of the wind sound but still not right. Maybe I should try an SM58. Whistles are Chieftain low D and F, Sindt high D. I realise part of the issue is that when we play we get direct sound and vibration through the body compared to listening to a recording so it wont be the same experience but I'm sure i can do much better. I look forward to hearing your views. Many thanks.
MusicMadSimon
*Keep Music Live*
Narzog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: Best method for Recording whistle at home

Post by Narzog »

I'm not a recording expert but I've done a lot of research on recording equipment. I feel like whistle recording is complicated. I haven't tried it a ton myself because I'm not happy enough with my playing yet to do a lot of recording. You can turn the gain down on the mic but then you have to mic closer, making it so it can still pick up finger and air sounds. This reason is why I'm not sure if getting a dynamic will really help much. But it may be possible to use a dynamic and not have high gain so that it only picks up the louder whistle and not much of the other sounds.
I got this for my brother, from my research its the best or one of the best dynamics for the price range. Could be worth trying if you wanted to try a dynamic.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... microphone

The easiest way to not pick up these sounds is to not have them. I know, kidna a dumb response haha. but from my whistle making I'm not sure what causes it but some whistles have a whole lot less "Ffffffffff" sound than others. So if your whistle makes too much Ffff sound you may want another brand if you cant find out how ot not have it picked up in the recording. And a really noticeable finger sound is made from having your fingers not all come down at the same exact time. Like if you go from all open to xxx xxo or something, it can make the sound. for all closed you can use oxx xxx and it wont do it, but that only works for the one note. This may or may not be the fingering sound your thinking of. But you said those aren't much of an issue so luckily you shouldn't need to worry about this one much.

I apologies if this response isnt very helpful.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You may get a better response if you post this on the Trad Tech Forum next door. You may eve nfind this has been discussed once or twice.
My brain hurts

Krasnojarsk

Post by Krasnojarsk »

I've had pretty good results with an SM57 and 58, aiming the fipple at an angle from the mic. I did a quick recording (https://youtu.be/VBsoyk5gCH0) just to demonstrate the sound of a Goldie High D a couple of years ago, through an SM57 (I like to think my playing has improved a lot since then, but I also had to hold back, since that whistle was too bloody loud for my paper-thin walls...). Have a listen and see what you think.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Mr.Gumby wrote:You may get a better response if you post this on the Trad Tech Forum next door. You may eve nfind this has been discussed once or twice.
Good idea. I'll move it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Oisincooke

Post by Oisincooke »

What's the room like that you're recording in? Is it acoustically treated at all?

Personally I've found best results come from a nice LDC (you could also try a tube LDC or a ribbon mic) that is at least 12 inches away from the whistle. The problem with this is that if your room doesn't sound good, you're going to struggle with a lot of room noise on the recording. In a busier mix, you can get away with slightly closer micing if your room doesnt sound great, but watch your input gain. The problem is that you're probably going to have to use a fair amount of compression, so getting the cleanest source take possible is key or you're just going to highlight all of the parts you don't like about your take.